Might've pushed my 9x20 a little too hard...

KeeponDragon

Super User
Wore out some 30 yr old bits...namely bearings on the tensioner pulley, the shaft and bronze bushes for the idler assembly, and a couple smalls from the stall clutch assembly.
I contacted Grizzly down in the states. They had it all in stock, and were able to ship it to my buddies Oroville mailbox.
I had to suck it up and order the proper vee belt from AliExpress. Two of Gates 5M710's for 40$ cdn
Should be here in a couple weeks. Are they legit Gates?
No idea, but I'm hopeful they'll last longer than my cut down serp belt ribs lol.
6001 bearings from Amazon, at 1.53 a piece, I bought the 10 pack. Even if the lathe doesn't need more work anytime soon, I'll have spare parts for projects
I've been busy fussing over a few things in the shop lately...this is just one of the many that got bumped to the front of the line.
Ideally, I would prefer to swap the belt drive out for a VFD set up. But I hesitate if I can get a decent price on the big lathe my milling machine is sitting next to.
At least this way, my lathe is still operable.
Now head on over to the forge/blacksmith section...
I've been a busy Dragon haha

Attachments

• 1000004942.jpg
    1000004942.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1000004943.jpg
    1000004943.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 16

KeeponDragon

Super User
Belts for the lathe and the mill have arrived.
Fit is good on the lathe belt.
Ran it up for a couple minutes and it tracks well.
Proof will be when I put it to work though.
Those Asian copycats even got the font down.
Check out the tag, I'm having a laugh here

1000005461.jpg

Attachments

• 20230804_081217.jpg
    20230804_081217.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 21

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Belts for the lathe and the mill have arrived.
Fit is good on the lathe belt.
Ran it up for a couple minutes and it tracks well.
Proof will be when I put it to work though.
Those Asian copycats even got the font down.
Check out the tag, I'm having a laugh here

View attachment 37185
Ya that's sort of like my fake Mitutoyo test indicator that I ordered from Aliexpress, it said "Made in Japan ".

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The timing belt for my Hartford was custom made in the USA by Gates. It was ordered for me by MSC Direct. Can't say enough good things about the whole deal.

KeeponDragon

Super User
@Dabbler I read years ago about one of those Chinese factory cities.
Named USA...
So since then, I've always been skeptical of Made in USA.
Now, at least Squatch has a legit North American made piece.
I tried. I really did. I wanted to spend my money here.
But when most outlets wanted nearly 70-80 cdn kopecs for one belt...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I tried. I really did. I wanted to spend my money here.
But when most outlets wanted nearly 70-80 cdn kopecs for one belt...

That one Gates timing belt from MSC was so cheap I actually felt guilty. I knew there was NO WAY they could do it for that. Basically, they were doing a favour for the lady at MSC who prolly ordered thousands of other belts. So my guess is that they did it for her not me. My guilt made me order 2 belts even though I knew I'd never need them and I also knew there was a risk it wouldn't fit. You could never wipe the smile off my face with a wolly mammoth trunk! Even today, a live skunks tail wouldn't cut it!

KeeponDragon

Super User
If the part #'s jive...the Indumas belt "online" price from MSC, who gets Jason Industrial to make for them, cough cough
was something higher than 400 cdn
I REALLY hope these other belts fit lol.
If not...I guess they'll end up as something else in the shop! ;)

KeeponDragon

Super User
Just an update on the lathe belt from USA...I've done some light and heavy cuts with it now...and it looks to be running fine...
Runs quiet...hasn't skipped off under load...the compound of rubber isn't disintegrating so far...
I think for the 40$ investment it is a win...