• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Microscope for Milling Maching

Crosche

Super User
Spotted this interesting piece of kit for the guy who has almost everything.

c32db080-f1b3-43b8-a702-a5ab993ee1b2

It has been for sale for at least 6 months and gets relisted all the time, taunting me cause it doesn't fit our BP

Why is this better than an electronic edge finder and a DRO? Could iit be adapted to a different spindle?

Check out the other things this guy has listed.....

His new Mitutoyo mic set is about half of list... assuming you shop at Travers.
Not sure if the 6x8 mag chuck is a good deal, maybe some of our surface grinder brethren know.
That EDM is probably worth a bundle, but that would be a serious commitment for someone knowledgeable & experienced I suspect

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-12-05 9.18.40 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-12-05 9.18.40 PM.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 6
  • SNAG-2022-12-05 9.18.51 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-12-05 9.18.51 PM.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 6
Why is this better than an electronic edge finder and a DRO? Could iit be adapted to a different spindle?
Don't own one but from the through-the-lens pics I've seen magnifies a pair of scribe lines so they look like 2 intersecting vee troughs, or a light center pip as a small volcano. The view has crosshair type background lines/circles kind of like a gun scope, so you basically move the table/part until they are aligned & that defines the datum. This is harder to do (accurately) with conical center finders. I think the optical models date back to surface plate type layout work. I would expect shallow depth of field so maybe not so good for general microscope type viewing?

Don't own one but from the through-the-lens pics I've seen magnifies a pair of scribe lines so they look like 2 intersecting vee troughs, or a light center pip as a small volcano. The view has crosshair type background lines/circles kind of like a gun scope, so you basically move the table/part until they are aligned & that defines the datum. This is harder to do (accurately) with conical center finders. I think the optical models date back to surface plate type layout work. I would expect shallow depth of field so maybe not so good for general microscope type viewing?

So basically, centering on a mark or feature instead of a dimension?

Different model, similar principle showing view perspective. Similarly used in lathe setups, but maybe more the jewelers environment?

very handy if you do repairs that you line up fast via transfer punches instead of trying to measure distances between centers of holes, and have lousy eyesight.

Same principle as an optical center punch which was about the first lathe project I ever made

I don't have either one. They are project 42 and project 42 on my priority list.

Old place I worked at used to have a couple spotting scopes and they were pretty handy from time to time. Haven't seen one in years, and wish I had one every once in a while. There was also a time and place where getting one for $450 would be considered a great deal, but that time has long since passed IMO. I think he's a bit lofty with that price.....

So how do you calibrate this? How do you know that the cross hairs are aligned center of your spindle? Is there any parallax adjustments or compensation?

The unit is aligned with the bore, and the tool is inserted into the spindle bore ergo self aligns. Uses a mirror to reflect the view to the eyepiece.
I dont know enough to know if there is manual adjustment of the cross hairs in case they lose calibration...

I think it is possible to build a very nice version of this using a USB microscope and making a mount for it. It would be in the 50$ range, and offer the same or better functionality, as some USB ones zoom over a wide range.
IIRC Stefan Gotteswinter made an optical one years ago... maybe before usb versions were cheap.

This should be an Adam Savage "One day build"

So how do you calibrate this? How do you know that the cross hairs are aligned center of your spindle? Is there any parallax adjustments or compensation?
Care to break down parallax for us simple folk? My basic understanding is it’s an extra step to visually focus a reticle

Care to break down parallax for us simple folk? My basic understanding is it’s an extra step to visually focus a reticle
hold up your left and right index fingers in line with your nose.

Looking straight ahead the front finger will block the rear finger from view.

Now shift your head 5 inches to the right without moving your hands. Now the fingers dont line up when you continue looking straight ahead. That is due to parallax error

I non layman's terms:

The error/displacement caused in in the apparent position of the object due to the viewing angle that is other than the angle that is perpendicular to the object.

Back