• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Micrometer carriage stop

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My lathe manual shows an optional micrometer carriage stop. It did not come with the machine in my case. Based on the few dimensions given in the original drawings, I decided to reverse engineer my own.
3FD06FAF-1B3B-4EED-AB5F-D46CA1ACCC9D.jpeg

Here are most of the components before final assembly. The barrel retaining taper pin and the spindle lock are missing. I used mild steel for the block and clamp plate. The rest is made of O1. I bought the grade 8 clamping bolt. No fancy machining for the most part, just milling, drilling and boring on the mill.
BF8C547E-1036-4700-A2F5-A86F6D096E2D.jpeg

Closeup of the micrometer portion showing barrel, spindle and the graduated thimble. All lathe work for these parts except for the graduations and numbering. The thimble is press-fit onto the spindle at assembly.
1C4D32C2-0028-4203-B25E-C47E60882196.jpeg

Here is the setup to engrave the 50 graduations (giving 1/1000” divisions per line) on the thimble using the Deckel pantograph and the dividing head
B85172CD-DB5B-4C2F-B172-8FD788AC7625.jpeg

Just about finished the graduations
07B73FD0-63D6-4E75-A31C-03FD042E3AA5.jpeg

Next the engraving of the numbers, also using the Deckel and the dividing head
ADA063A5-EE29-4A18-9EE5-20F49D9B1B28.jpeg

Finished the numbers
489B274D-306E-4CA5-9039-C5331C58897E.jpeg

All assembled and installed on the lathe
5B8C709B-643B-4026-81D5-77E9B205317C.jpeg

This was one of my long term projects that took about 2 years of more off than on time....

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Very nice . Question; I'm deciding between dividing heAd or rotary table, seeing as you have dividing head, was that a preference or do you have / use both?

Also, I toured the hms Belfast ship that is in London by the tower bridge . Their machine shop was amazing (7 or more lathes) plus some interesting other tools including a pantograph . I couldn't think of a use for one until now -- thx!

Here is a picture IMG_3190.JPG
IMG_3191.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm still on the hunt for a Pantograph. I missed out on 2 a few years ago I could have had foir free... sigh. One day!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Question; I'm deciding between dividing heAd or rotary table, seeing as you have dividing head, was that a preference or do you have / use both?

I have both, an universal dividing head you see used here, and a 12” rotary table (I will post how I used it recently shortly).

My rotary table is not designed for vertical use like many of the newer models you see today. So i am essentially limited to “flat” work with it.

My dividing head, on the other hand, is able to tilt (measured from horizontal) from - 10* to + 90*. I needed this tilting capability on this job since the graduation lines are on a 15* surface in relation to the center axis of the thimble and the numbers are on a surface parallel to the axis.

My main uses for the pantograph so far have been to engrave lines and numbers/letters; copying artistic designs in freehand; and micro drilling/milling. The spindle will turn up to 20000 RPM. I have used micro carbide drill bits (1.0mm and smaller) to drill out broken taps and busted screws. The biggest problem, it seems, is runout of tooling. Too much, and the drill/endmill snaps instantly. But it is fun to experiment....

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm still on the hunt for a Pantograph. I missed out on 2 a few years ago I could have had foir free... sigh. One day!

How big of a pantograph are you looking for? I have a smaller brother to the Deckel GK 12, that I rarely use.... PM on its way...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice stop. The only thing I can contribute is I made mirrored 'twins' for either side of saddle so I could stop between 2 defined end points. Just so happened I had some work that benefitted by that capability so came in handy.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The only thing I can contribute is I made mirrored 'twins' for either side of saddle so I could stop between 2 defined end points. Just so happened I had some work that benefitted by that capability so came in handy.
Great idea, at the rate i made the first one, it would be another ~ 2 years before the second one would be born...

kylemp

My lathe manual shows an optional micrometer carriage stop. It did not come with the machine in my case. Based on the few dimensions given in the original drawings, I decided to reverse engineer my own.
View attachment 3488

Here are most of the components before final assembly. The barrel retaining taper pin and the spindle lock are missing. I used mild steel for the block and clamp plate. The rest is made of O1. I bought the grade 8 clamping bolt. No fancy machining for the most part, just milling, drilling and boring on the mill.
View attachment 3489

Closeup of the micrometer portion showing barrel, spindle and the graduated thimble. All lathe work for these parts except for the graduations and numbering. The thimble is press-fit onto the spindle at assembly.
View attachment 3490

Here is the setup to engrave the 50 graduations (giving 1/1000” divisions per line) on the thimble using the Deckel pantograph and the dividing head
View attachment 3484

Just about finished the graduations
View attachment 3483

Next the engraving of the numbers, also using the Deckel and the dividing head
View attachment 3485

Finished the numbers
View attachment 3486

All assembled and installed on the lathe
View attachment 3487

This was one of my long term projects that took about 2 years of more off than on time....
Nicely done Mr. Gotteswinter! I expect the YouTube video will be along shortly?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nicely done Mr. Gotteswinter! I expect the YouTube video will be along shortly?
Thank you for the compliment, but Stefan is lighyears ahead in terms of knowledge and experience.
Coincidentally: did you see his latest video? (
). He shows how the expert engraves on a curved surface. His is a much larger radius so he could do both digits in the same setup on the rotary table of the tenth divisions. Because of my much smaller radius, i had to do each digit separately, one before the tick mark and one after to get a good, uniform depth.