• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Metal/Wood Lathe, Fraser-Fort George

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Make an offer, industrial lathe. Worked well when moved

85075f5c-2c94-4d78-8c9a-58e3012c2aad

trevj

Ultra Member
IIRC they are based on the South Bend only beefier.
They started out, as a licensed copy of South Bend, but they saw fit to evolve, and updated the basic design as time moved on.

Think of Boxfords, as an example of what 'could have been', had South Bend kept their heads out of their arses, collectively, and made gradual changes to the design, as an investment in having a future, rather than sticking with, essentially, a 1930 or earlier design, that they stuck with right up till it killed the Company.

Hercus, out of Australia, made another decent quality clone.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It's a shame the lathe is rusty and dry, it looks like it was ignored for sometime. It might cleanup just fine though. I'd likely not pay what someone else might pay for it but I'd enjoy a project like that. I believe they are a decent lathe.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I almost bought a Boxford like that’s when I was on my first Quest for Lathe. :)