Metal Supermarkets Metal My Way contest

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Winners sure are creative people - some large projects. But a lot of entrants for example, this year, are not that far away from what people post on this board. Heck - for industrial stuff my own projects are in line to what others entered this year (and I don't think I am even close to some of the winners).

I would encourage some people from here to enter their projects - like cool radial engines or larger machines. Some members even restored cars or large CNC machines. I would not be surprised if we have a future winner in our group.

For larger projects I am sure no one even thinks of using Metal Supermarket as their supplier through or they go bankrupt.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice projects. I recognize the radial. Its a popular USA design, gasoline fueled, spark ignition. he also offers plans for a double row 18-cyl. She's a big momma.

I'm starting to change my tune about MSM ... a little bit LOL. I'm not sure if USA prices & FX is going up, or some MSM prices are going down. But, at least on certain ordinary alloys & generally small-ish offcuts I've had to purchase recently, the gap didn't seem as horrible as it used to be. I guess the answer is 'it depends'. So always need to do some checking.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
MSM is good with its Calgary prices when you need very special stuff, you need it now, no matter the price and it fits in the palm of your hand more or less. For example, you are making a tool holder and you want to make it last - you really want 4140 steel. You need 1" square 6" long. You don't mind paying like $20 for it.

We have a whole discussion with topic "where to get steel".

Back to projects - should have included my 50t press - maybe not a winner but at least something to show & not a small trivial task nor small tooling that most people will not understand needs to be within +-0.01mm to be accurate.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Nice projects. I recognize the radial. Its a popular USA design, gasoline fueled, spark ignition. he also offers plans for a double row 18-cyl. She's a big momma.

I'm starting to change my tune about MSM ... a little bit LOL. I'm not sure if USA prices & FX is going up, or some MSM prices are going down. But, at least on certain ordinary alloys & generally small-ish offcuts I've had to purchase recently, the gap didn't seem as horrible as it used to be. I guess the answer is 'it depends'. So always need to do some checking.
I had an interesting conversation with the MSM manager here in Calgary two weeks ago. I even went on to Google and did a review I was so impressed with him. We talked for 45 mins in the back parking lot when I was doing a pickup.

The conversation was about Covid and how he was getting all sorts of pushback from customers about wearing masks—how he had to call the cops on multiple occasions as customers got violent. MSM had protocols in place from the start, including telephone messaging and curb-side pickup. That's amazing as much bigger companies didn't. Even more impressive when you consider that metal working can be a rough and tough industry and I wouldn't have expected that level of concern for guys who routinely expose themselves to danger. He also told me about some of the ways customers tried to rip them off. There is a lot to running a business, and they have to absorb the cost of extra staff for carry out, PPE, sanitizer, etc. That hits their bottom line.

He gets that sometimes their per unit prices are higher. But I maintain that the ability to buy off cuts and get product cut to length, combined with little things like keeping their sheet products away from bay doors where they can rust, and the nice way their staff have treated me, keep me coming back. They have become my go-to place for quite a while now. It would take a massive price increase for them to turn me off now. I feel comfortable there, and safe with this crazy virus.

Last edited:

dubser

MSM have correct prices. My concern is I have no access to their local facilities. Postal handling appear expansive, i remember $40 transport fee for half pound brass.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
MSM have correct prices. My concern is I have no access to their local facilities. Postal handling appear expansive, i remember $40 transport fee for half pound brass.

You can get some stuff online - specialty metals such as brass, online. In Canada half a pound of brass shipped is no more then around 15 CAD, maybe 17 with envelope. Anyone charging 40 is simply over charging you a lot. Even say 3lbs is around same price.

For small brass items you can get them cheap from China - small rods.

gerritv

Gerrit
I was going to put my gantry mill/router into the contest but it was not complete enough :-(

I have used 4 different MSM's, 2 were great, 2 were not. I drive to Stoney Creek instead of 5 minutes away in St Catharines because of the service level difference. A lot depends on the manager and their staff.

I have bought 2 loads of stock from ppl getting out of the hobby so well supplied in the shop. Whatever else is needed I get at MSM.

gerrit

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think you gantry mill would have a good chance of winning it.

I live close to Federal Metals in Calgary so all metal needs are handled by them at around 1/2 the price of MSM. Last time I was at MSM was about 6 or 7 years ago. I also get a lot of steel at auctions - have lifetime supply for big steel in 4140 / 4330 range. For some stuff you can get creative to get steel.

For large steel orders I would consider wholesale but obviously its subject to minimum & you will compete with tractor trailers.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Federal allows you to buy in half lengths - i.e. 10ft or 12ft in some cases. AFAIK no wholesale supplier sells half lengths i.e. 10/12 only full lengths such as 20/24. Thus Federal makes it easy to load stuff up and move to your home. Same for Steel Inc. - but they are more expensive. Neither Federal / steel have a minimum purchase. All wholesalers have minimums usually around $500. Thus Federal / Steel are perfect for small fabricator or home shop machinist tinkerer.

Note that Federal / Steel offer only weldable A36 steel and some aluminum for construction industry - thus they are ideal if you are say building a welding table or welder cart or CNC plasma table etc.

For cheap steel for milling / turning you need to use auctions. There is no "cheap" supplier in Calgary. Both federal / steel offer only A36 up to 2".

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have used 4 different MSM's, 2 were great, 2 were not. I drive to Stoney Creek instead of 5 minutes away in St Catharines because of the service level difference. A lot depends on the manager and their staff.

You need to know your prices and validate the total charge against the weight. I've been completely ripped off at MSM in Calgary because I was lazy and in a hurry (aka stupid). They have a reputation of such practice in Calgary. At the same time, I've had the odd trip there where the service was exceptionally good, there were good-humans behind the desk who appeared to be enjoying their job and upbeat. I avoid them at all costs except when I want a piece of say 12L14.

+1 to @Tom Kitta 's review of Federal -- really simply concise shopping. I've also used Sureway metals a few years back and that went well but they had 400 minimum which is easy to do. Their loading at Sureway was slick, roll in w/truck and 16' trailer, they had the entire order on a crane and put it on trailer. No backing up, drive on through. Very similar to Federal in price etc. just closer to my house.