• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Metal Supermarkets Calgary moved

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If I said 'no apparent change' would that answer the question? :/ . They have a nice waiting area to hang out while cuts are prepared so its more front desk pricing/admin staffed, although you are still free to wander in the back. But it looks +/- same inventory, just new building. I had to pass on a 1"OD stick of bronze @60$ for a 6" cut-off. It's lists for 27$U/foot at OLM. Even with all the dinger fees, cheaper to source stateside, which is really quite sad. I usually wait for the OLM 10-20% discount sales ~monthly & place a mini order. But at about 35lbs, shipping starts to hurt so its not great for heavy ships. Luckily my projects are smaller lengths &/or lighter alloys.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I like the staff there. But yes, the prices are bad. Maybe the move will help out James at Steel Inc.

Thanks for the move post...I was heading out there tomorrow.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Sad to see that what once was a reasonable place to buy has turned out so bad. Not a dollar more. ever.
Dabbler's comment reminded me of a recent conversation with an acquaintance I ran into recently. He and his family are from Arcachon, France (the same place celebrity chef and author Tony Bourdain is from). He says setting up and operating a business there is the opposite of here. There they welcome you, zoning is more permissive, taxes are reasonable, and the amount of insurance your business is required to carry pales in comparison to here. Regulations make sense and new businesses are encouraged by town councils. Businesses can "make a good profit without gouging" customers (his words). His family runs a supply store that includes metal and lumber.

I feel so sorry for new businesses, with all the rules and regs we impose upon them. I spent 30 years in government and begrudgingly had to impose many of these regulations. Yet I know we are letting down small business and doing competition a disservice. I can't imagine the financial pain of making ends meet in this town (Calgary). I remember when the old Nova Service Centre moved its operations from Blackfoot Tr SE to Airdrie due to taxes and increased costs in Calgary. Sadly, not much has changed, and that was the 1980s.

MetalSupermarket prices are bad. I just wish it were easier for competition to thrive in Calgary.

P.S. In this ideal world of mine I also want to be thin and all reality television to be cancelled. Oh to dream.......

Jimbojones

Anyone have 1/8"x 4" wide aluminum bar for sale (or bent as 1x3 @ ~90deg)? in 1-2' length? or know of a scrap bin with this stuff

I just cant bring myself to go to MS(&)M cuz I'm not in to pain...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Steel Inc in a ten footer maybe? Might be the same as MS but you get more?