Metal Spinning

GlenG

Glen
Hi,

I was just visiting a pewter store while i was on vacation and now I’m intrigued by metal spinning.
Who has done it?
Where did you get your supplies?
What equipment did you use, metal lathe or wood lathe?
Generally, just interested to hear what others may have to add to the discussion

deleted_user

Super User
Hi,

I was just visiting a pewter store while i was on vacation and now I’m intrigued by metal spinning.
Who has done it?
Generally, just interested to hear what others may have to add to the discussion
Did some about 35 years ago in the shop my brother worked at. Did it on a metal lathe, used a mould turned up on another much smaller junk lath using gouges. note the mould I used was a multi-part mould that I could pull apart to free it from the completed part... at the time I visited a metal spinning shop in the west end of toronto to pick their brains to learn how to do this, but the info is readily available on youtube now.

I used brass sheet to make replica headlamp parts to go on a stanley steamer car that a guy with a shop down the road used to restore.

Haven't done any since... I don't have a heavy wood lathe which would be my preferred machine to do this one... one with large bowl turning capability... a oneway, or an old wadkin

Chip Maker

Super User
Back in the '80's I worked for a manufacturer of steam jacketed cooking vessels. They were all stainless and the bottom of these were metal spun. I made several hardwood forms for the metal spinners. The stainless was spun on actual metal spinning lathes similar to the one at the 4 minute mark in the attached video. We even spun 8 foot satellite dishes out of aluminum. It was pretty scary watching them trim the spinnings!

deleted_user

Super User
Back in the '80's I worked for a manufacturer of steam jacketed cooking vessels. They were all stainless and the bottom of these were metal spun. I made several hardwood forms for the metal spinners. They stainless was spun on actual metal spinning lathes similar to the one at the 4 minute mark in the attached video. We even spun 8 foot satellite dishes out of aluminum. It was pretty scary watching them trim the spinnings!
I have watched so many metal spinning videos by people in SE Asia and my god the stuff they do makes my butt pucker. I'm amazed they're all not maimed by the age of 30

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hi,

Who has done it?
I too was intrigued by this. But when I had a chance to watch someone do it in their shop it scared the heck out of me. I recall driving home from the shop after watching this and seeing all my fingers and thumbs on the steering wheel.

You can fill in the rest of my thought process from there.

deleted_user

Super User
Wow I never thought I’d hear a Stanley Steamer referenced here! Any pics?
I wish... I don't have any photos from those days they all got "misplaced" during one of my moves. It really saddens me because they included my time in the reserves and I had some awesome live fire exercise photos from Grayling Michigan and pics of me with the queen mum when she stopped to speak with me during an inspection.

My brother and I had the opportunity to work help restoring 3 of these over the course of a year. It's what gave my brother and I the steam engine bug. I volunteered my time it was so interesting...

Tom O

Ultra Member
Nice the last picture I saw was…… out of a jello package they use to have 1 1/2” coin type prize in them with pics of planes and vehicles.

58A371D8-3528-475E-B89D-267445D68CDD.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I wish... I don't have any photos from those days they all got "misplaced" during one of my moves. It really saddens me because they included my time in the reserves and I had some awesome live fire exercise photos from Grayling Michigan and pics of me with the queen mum when she stopped to speak with me during an inspection.

Cool..... Which reserve unit were you with?

deleted_user

Super User
Cool..... Which reserve unit were you with?
7th Toronto RCA

My GF's father at the time was the DCO. She joined so I joined.

War movies are utter BS. You dont want to be around when 105mm shells are going off near you, forget about anything larger.