• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Metal Rods for sale

Jimbojones

I've got a number of 35mm dia/1m long steel rods. approx 17lbs each

Looks like they were intended to be part of a conveyer system, unused, stored inside. Seem very straight...probably to spec. Solid, bare rods.

I wanted to gauge interest first since there's some effort to clean/transport. I personally will be using some for equipment moving and fabrication. Looking at $20/pc or 3 for $50.

As for the composition of the metal....I have NO idea. Seems to have some hardness and better finish that stuff they sell at retails as this was made for machinery parts.

If interested, drop me a PM so I know how many to prep.

Jimbojones

Going to give this a bump and drop the price: $10/pc or 3 for $25. Decent price for a non-rusted mild steel rods.

Jimbojones

yeah....but don't expect it delivered otherwise I'm gonna go all Uber and up the price as demand increases ;)

pm me to discuss pickup details

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
yeah....but don't expect it delivered otherwise I'm gonna go all Uber and up the price as demand increases ;)

pm me to discuss pickup details

Dang if I know how to pm?!?!??

Would you hold 1 or 2 for me if I sent you the cash? I won't likely be up to Cowtown for a couple of weeks or more.

Don

Jimbojones

;) SURGE PRICING...$900 (who would EVER agree to pay something so ridiculous unless their life was on the line?!?)
no worries about holding some; PM = Private Message...just send me a direct email and we can discuss payment

Jimbojones

Glad I could find homes for these rods as they really are a decent piece of metal and its harder to get stuff like this.

Pre-paid folks have their pieces set-aside so overall I'm running low on these; I would suggest anyone else interested contact me in the next week/prepay as I cannot get more once these are gone.

fwiw - I still have access to new drill rod, keystock, threaded rod, variety of fasteners (including service trays and bulk/boxed), drills, taps, etc so if anyone is on the hunt for these, drop me a note with your specifics.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Glad I could find homes for these rods as they really are a decent piece of metal and its harder to get stuff like this.

Pre-paid folks have their pieces set-aside so overall I'm running low on these; I would suggest anyone else interested contact me in the next week/prepay as I cannot get more once these are gone.

fwiw - I still have access to new drill rod, keystock, threaded rod, variety of fasteners (including service trays and bulk/boxed), drills, taps, etc so if anyone is on the hunt for these, drop me a note with your specifics.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmnn I probably should have some drill rod on hand for unknown projects. Whatcha got?

Don

Jimbojones

I can get a variety of metric & imperial up to 1"/M20-ish and in 1 yard/1m lengths. name it and I can get prices/availability

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I can get a variety of metric & imperial up to 1"/M20-ish and in 1 yard/1m lengths. name it and I can get prices/availability

Okay, I'll try to figure out what size would be best bet to have on hand. I'm thinking 1/2".

It's pretty darned expensive stuff isn't it.
??

Jimbojones

fairly expensive due to hardness/trueness...but because its specialty (like stainless) they charge higher markup. I priced out some large metric and retail was $100+ for a stick....I can get it for 25-45% cheaper

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Jimbojones

Hi @Janger

will check if I've got mm rod tomorrow (claims M4 to M12 is available).
.it's rated as 0-1 tool steel (oil hardened) ; here's some addition info I found on it
O-1 Tool Steel
Heat treat temperature 1450-1600 F
Quench Oil
Hardness Rockwell 62c-64c
Applications Taps
Reamers
Knurling Tools
Shear Blades
Drills
Coining Dies
Trimming Dies
Disadvantages Oil hardening tool steels tend to experience less distortion during the quench operation, but they do still show distortion from the original size. The hardening operation is more thorough than with water hardening steels, but not as thorough as the air-hardening grades.