• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Meat Tenderizing Hammer

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So, I've been commissioned by my daughter to make another one of these.......

1.JPG

Ya, Ya, I know... grade 9 shop stuff. I made this one about 5 years ago on my mini-mill and utilathe. Will make a good excuse to fire up the shaper.

2.JPG

Tapping the head 3/8-16.

3.JPG

Here I'm experimenting on some aluminum to determine what a suitable down feed and side step would be. Looks like 0.1" down and a 0.15" side step will work nicely.

4.JPG

My shaper has a ridiculously small dial for indicating table travel. And no witness mark to align it witho_O So I'm using my dial indicator to measure side step.

5.JPG

One face of the head done. That there probably amounted to 2 hours of standing at the shaper down feeding. Not the quickest machining operation that's for sure.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Worked on the second face of the head today....

6.JPG

Pretty bumpy trip going across this with the shaper, the tool geometry was all wrong.

7.JPG

Started at 10am and finished the last row at 4pm:rolleyes:

8.JPG

Not bad bad but not great either. I wonder if a wire wheel mounted on my angle grinder would spruce that up?

Tomorrow will make a handle and do some knurling.

francist

Super User
Pretty bumpy trip going across this with the shaper,

You’re a better man than I, Gunga Din. I serrated the bottom of a door stop once at about half the depth of yours and was more than glad when it was over. I really didn’t like the hammering as the tool hit all the ridges on the way across.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You’re a better man than I, Gunga Din. I serrated the bottom of a door stop once at about half the depth of yours and was more than glad when it was over. I really didn’t like the hammering as the tool hit all the ridges on the way across.

I wasn't plowing out 0.1" per stroke. I had to down feed very slowly, something like 0.01" per stroke, that's why it took 6 hours to do (factor in a quick lunch and other breaks). 18 cuts at 10 strokes per cut. A better tool would have helped.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
More progress and DONE:p

9.JPG

Knurling some 3/4" round for a handle.

10.JPG

Tapping the handle 3/8-16.

11.JPG

Threading some 3/8 rod 16 TPI on both ends.

12.JPG

The pieces ready for assembly.

13.JPG

And DONE. They weight in at approx. 1.25 lbs. each.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What about using a 90 degree spot drill/mill on your mill and just ploughing through at full depth? I mean as alternative to the shaper. Nice job on the hammer. I like the knurling.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What about using a 90 degree spot drill/mill on your mill and just ploughing through at full depth? I mean as alternative to the shaper. Nice job on the hammer. I like the knurling.

Ya, I have to admit the mill was faster that's for sure. For the first one, I clamped the head on a 45 in the mill vise (and prayed it didn't move), then simply stepped over as far as I went for depth all the way across the face, 0.1 or something like that. Worked well, but the setup was sketchy.

Last edited: