‘MAXIMUM’ Tap Handle Sale

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member

Picked up one of these tap wrenches today (See link).

Size range M3 to M12 (Square Jaws) #8 thru 1/2”
Good heavy built, knurled, design with spring lock ‘T’ handle.
$ 9.99 - Sale Price, Check store inventory.

Just happened to be in Canadian Tire for a mower tarp.

darrin1200

Darrin
I picked one up, but it didn’t fit my tap. It wouldn’t fit into handle. It fit inside the tightening nut, but not down into holder.
Oh well. I bought the CT ratcheting handle and had the same problem.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I went to CTire yesterday. Decided against buying. Nice looking handle, and prolly very comfy. But just couldn't see any worthwhile improvement over the junk I already have. Plus, all my dies are round. The CTire ones all seem to be hex.

I went to CTire yesterday. Decided against buying. Nice looking handle, and prolly very comfy. But just couldn't see any worthwhile improvement over the junk I already have. Plus, all my dies are round. The CTire ones all seem to be hex.
Smart move, quality is not as it seems.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Smart move, quality is not as it seems.
I agree with ^^^ .
Hope it works out for Len thou, he seemed pretty happy with his purchase.

LenVW

Premium Member
I found the TAP wrench to be sturdy and well made.
The TAP wrench drives by the standard ‘square‘ tap end.

I did not look at the DIE handle. There are lots of Hexagon dies out there.
@Susquatch . . .
If you have Round Dies do you use a locking screw or key to drive the torque ?

@Susquatch . . .
Real machinist use round dies.....

Seriously, proper round dies let you adjust the depth of cut to achieve the best fit. Hexagon die are for quick rough work.

LenVW

Premium Member
OK - you guys are talking about ‘split’ adjustable thread dies.
These are usually provided in puck sections & allow fine diameter adjustments.
It has been decades since I have used dies to cut external threads.

I would bet that there are very few machinists that are using the ‘three-wire’ method of measuring thread forms for sizing these days.

Aren’t you guys cutting threads on your lathes ?
What do you need dies for ?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver

I would bet that there are very few machinists that are using the ‘three-wire’ method of measuring thread forms for sizing these days.

Aren’t you guys cutting threads on your lathes ?
What do you need dies for ?
Don’t get them started.... they’ll regale you with 65% thread engagement charts vs 73% engagement and start arguing a #63 drill bit is superior to a #64 for 5/16” NF British threads, but only the LH the RH you need a #65 :p

LenVW

Premium Member
As long as you produce what you need for your design, it can be done in a number of ways.
If it meets the requirements of your application and budget . . . laugh it off.
If I had an infinite bank account, I would own all the best precision tools.

We sometimes try to get too accurate and precise, where as getting to that quality would cost far too much for the average hobbyist.

Keep it PRACTICAL and REAL . . . Much more affordable !!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have tread wires and a few thread mics. I usually single point and try the nut. When it fits , it's good. Sometimes I single point and finish with a die. Whatever works.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

@Susquatch . . .

The only tap handle they had when I was there looked like this:

Screenshot_20221108_214734.jpg

It didn't appear to have a way to align it with the hole and it just didn't look as sturdy as my other tap wrenches so I passed on that too.

I have very very few hexagon dies. Most of mine are round split dies. That can be adjusted for minor thread diameter changes.

Mostly I cut threads on my lathe. But often I can't take my lathe to the repair or the repair to my lathe.

You are correct, I have the 3wire gauges but I hate them and don't use them.

Instead I have a set of thread micrometer that I love!

You should get some thread mics Len. I bet that you will love them!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Don’t get them started.... they’ll regale you with 65% thread engagement charts vs 73% engagement and start arguing a #63 drill bit is superior to a #64 for 5/16” NF British threads, but only the LH the RH you need a #65 :p

Wish I saw your note before posting my replies. Yours is WAAAYYY MORE FUN!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As long as you produce what you need for your design, it can be done in a number of ways.
If it meets the requirements of your application and budget . . . laugh it off.
If I had an infinite bank account, I would own all the best precision tools.

We sometimes try to get too accurate and precise, where as getting to that quality would cost far too much for the average hobbyist.

Keep it PRACTICAL and REAL . . . Much more affordable !!

Ya ya ya ya....... Get a thread mic Len. They are not that expensive and you really will love them! It beats the living crap out of using thread wires.

I agree with all points of view here. Whatever works being the ultimate view on everything.

Most of the time I just try the nut till it fits..

But sometimes you need a standard fit. Why drive the user crazy with a thread that all store based nuts won't fit?

In other words, there is a place for "just get it done George", there is also a place for "do it right or don't do it George", and lastly there is a place for "George just wants to have fun!" .

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
for a few more dollars... and shipping. .. and waiting....

I posted about this else where on here someplace too just recently... I am actually skeptical it will ship as it does not seem to be in mitutoyo's catalog anymore.

1667964424100.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
[Raises hand] I've got a change-gear lathe so I do virtually all my threading with dies.

Craig

That surprises me Craig. I would have thought that an old guy like you would love changing gears. After all, it's a great opportunity to play with your machine!

I don't mind changing gears at all! Some folks might even say I love it!

All the required tools are handy and I do it often enough that it's fast and easy. I do confess that I don't pay any attention to gear lash. If they fit close enough I'm happy. I'm not getting in there with feeler gauges.

I think it's an attitude thing.

"Oh, look at that! I have 16tpi in there but I need 20! That means I get to change gears again!"

Today I have to improve the fit on some ABS plumbing cap threads. I hate plumbing (and drywall and painting and windows and cooking) cutting some beautiful threads on my lathe is a labour of pure love. If I get to change gears, it's a bonus!

I know...... I'm crazy. But it is my hobby after all.

Just sayin.......