• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Making watch indices

1018Machine

Rounding the bend on my personal watch build and had to find a way to finish silver indices for the dial. They are so small you can barely hold them. Saw a comment elsewhere about laser welding it gave me an idea how to work hold these for finishing!

Attachments

• IMG_7584 (1).jpg
    IMG_7584 (1).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7586 (1).jpg
    IMG_7586 (1).jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7618.jpg
    IMG_7618.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7620.jpg
    IMG_7620.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 44
I’m just beginning my silver work journey.
I would love to hear how you made these letters. Are they cast?
I’m also curious about the laser welding. What kind of laser? Your doing this to polish, but how do you remove the weld without marking the piece?

Can we hear more about the process, how you made it etc?
There's not much to tell really. I used my fiber laser along with a 70mm lens (for a tight spot, or focal point) and made small aluminum base for brass rods to slip into. The silver welds itself to the brass post strong enough that after you've ablated enough material out of the way you can get access to the returns. My issue though still is that I can't find finishing files small enough to get into the inside returns. I have files from Grobet and some Vallorbe files both of which make very fine quality escapement files but even they aren't thin enough so I'm still on the hunt to find a proper solution.

To put it into prospective, these indices are so small that I can't end get dental floss charged with lapping compound into some of the holes. If anyone has any suggestions in making this take easier I'm all ears.

I would love to hear how you made these letters. Are they cast?
I’m also curious about the laser welding. What kind of laser? Your doing this to polish, but how do you remove the weld without marking the piece?
I just posted above as your post came in. I use a 30W fiber laser. Once polished i use a #11 Olfa razor to cut the letter off on the brass side. They seem to pop right off.

I have files from Grobet and some Vallorbe files both of which make very fine quality escapement files but even they aren't thin enough so I'm still on the hunt to find a proper solution.
Is it possible that endodontic files would be small enough?

I was going to suggest same as @eotrfish AliExpress has some neat dental & medical supplies. Who knows if its up to task for use in your mouth, but maybe worth consideration in hobby use. I have a lifetime supply of surgical blades (once I get through my lifetime supply of Xacto blades)

1729264345875.png1729264376909.png

Is it possible that endodontic files would be small enough?
Thanks for the suggestion, The 06 might work if it's an indication of the dia in mm's but I have a feeling it's not. The thickness top to bottom is the biggest issue. I need files that are no thicker than .01mm top to bottom and I can grind them to that spec on the belt grinder but they are too coarse to cut properly, even #6 is too coarse.

Maybe another mode is copper wire with lapping paste. The wire gage would have very controlled & consistent 'radius'. Maybe held in a jewelers fret saw frame? But the lap material should be softer than part to embed cutting aggregate, so I'm not sure how that combination would work on brass part. And maybe hard to see progress within the typical slurry buildup. Cheap enough to try.

That' a possible idea PeterT! except holding it in a jewelers saw. These are so small that hand control is paramount or the wire will sever the letter. I do like the wire idea though but will try it by hand.

Back