• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Making parts to fix things

KeeponDragon

Super User
So I purchased an entry level nut-sert kit from Her Majesty, Princess Auto.
I put 3 or 4 inserts through it and well, you can see the pull bar just got mangled. No fault of mine or the tool as a whole. Just shoddy material choices by our "friends" across the pacific.
A quick dig in my scrap bin, and a chunk of 1045 made its way into the lathe.
I don't have any reverse thread taps, so I opted to use the threaded tip of the original bar in my build.
I turned the back of the tip down to press fit, cold shrunk, interference.
If need be, I'll TIG it afterwards.
A piece welded into the top gap of the anchor handle stiffened things up nicely.
I still have some cleanup to do as well...
Funny part is, this took over a year to do. Mainly because of the tool post cross slide woes.
And ADHD....
But now, I can start installing thread-serts in the frame of my offroad garden tractor...
Is it perfect? No, but I didn't need it to be. It just has to work. I'm going to test it out tonight and see what happens.
Wish me luck lol

20221003_100117.jpg

20221003_100506.jpg

20221004_204427.jpg

20221004_204454.jpg

20221005_180627.jpg

20230515_215756.jpg

20230515_215743.jpg

20230515_215818.jpg

20230515_215152.jpg

Last edited:

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I saw the first picture before reading your text and its telling how crap those tools can be as I knew exactly what the part was from lol. What type of knurler did you use?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice job on the fix. I have the same tool, while I don't use it a lot, It's come in handy over the last 20 years or so. If mine breaks, I know who to send it to.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So I purchased an entry level nut-sert kit from Her Majesty, Princess Auto.
I put 3 or 4 inserts through it and well, you can see the pull bar just got mangled. No fault of mine or the tool as a whole. Just shoddy material choices by our "friends" across the pacific.
A quick dig in my scrap bin, and a chunk of 1045 made its way into the lathe.
I don't have any reverse thread taps, so I opted to use the threaded tip of the original bar in my build.
I turned the back of the tip down to press fit, cold shrunk, interference.
If need be, I'll TIG it afterwards.
A piece welded into the top gap of the anchor handle stiffened things up nicely.
I still have some cleanup to do as well...
Funny part is, this took over a year to do. Mainly because of the tool post cross slide woes.
And ADHD....
But now, I can start installing thread-serts in the frame of my offroad garden tractor...
Is it perfect? No, but I didn't need it to be. It just has to work. I'm going to test it out tonight and see what happens.
Wish me luck lol

View attachment 34511

View attachment 34509

View attachment 34512

View attachment 34513

View attachment 34514

View attachment 34515

View attachment 34516

View attachment 34517

View attachment 34518
Are you sure it took a whole year to make? Not just 42 weeks? Nicely done.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My PA POS insert tool did exactly the same thing. I think they make the shaft of fully quenched and tempered chinesium, with a tensile strength just slightly higher than cardboard.

I use a lot of inserts, so I broke down and bought a slightly better one off Amazon.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Sometimes . . . Reverse Engineered tools turn out to be the best in class !!
. . . and it’s very gratifying to improve purchased items.
Nice work !!