• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Making file handles

Tips/Techniques

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I stumbled on this video. Now I know not everyone likes youtube videos but with my Adblocker I don't see all the crap. Anyway he 3D prints his patterns and finishes them with primer and paint in a very meticulous manner. Silicon Bronze casting. Tig Welding. His shop has safety stuff. All in all I just like the way he worked.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Beautiful handles, for sure. I'd hang them on the wall cuz they're going to get tashed up and those look too nice to use!

Like @jcdammeyer I've been printing handles and grips using PETG and ASA which have been in use for a couple of years now and are doing just fine.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Or just 3D print them.
I really like to see 3D printed handles. I'd prefer some kind of machined metal holder for the file in the 3D printed handle, however.

Like @jcdammeyer I've been printing handles and grips using PETG and ASA which have been in use for a couple of years now and are doing just fine.
Nice! is there wear at the interface between the file and the handle?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
With this one just heat up the tang enough to melt the plastic and push it in.
Or one could design it with a two part insert with a screw that tightens down on the handle.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The guy that made the bronze handles, wow, fantastic work. Although I find it really hard to get motivate for such an undertaking when the Lutz hardwood handles with the thread bit that digs into tang are 6 or 8 bucks. They are always what I've used and I tip my hat to their continued reasonable pricing

What I would like in a similar form factor is a small graver handle ..... bronze might be nice for that as it'll take a tapped hole for a set screw to hold the graver

Last edited:

Tobho Mott

I think I would have done this casting with a core rather than two parts welded together. But then I don't TIG weld so ...
The corebox would be the fun part! I'd have wanted to cast them in one piece and cored too. Probably would have been the very reason why I picked that particular handle to try and copy.

Anyhow, Seth's presentation and results always look really great.

Everdur is expensive, but such a joy to cast!

Jeff