• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Metal Making a Keyway Broach bushing.

Metal

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I need to make an 8mm bushing for broach A type 2mm and 3mm key slots. Looking in my junk bin of steel and even my other stock I find I don't have any 7/16" or 1/2" steel stock. Or else it's lost in the mess somewhere. Don't want to turn down 5/8" although I guess I could.
Anyway, if I was going to buy a length of 1/2" stock what type is a good idea to buy?
CRS? HRS? Leaded? Some other alloy?
I'm not going to bother knurling the top from the example STP file I found on line but the OD is about 10.5mm so I could start with 7/16" or 1/2"
1697232340482.png
So if I buy 4' to 8' of material what would be the ideal material for these types of things?

Attachments

• AType_8mm_Bushing.pdf
    537.3 KB · Views: 2

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I don’t think it really matters the bushing just holds it in place and after the 1 pass you are using steel shims .
Just wondering if I should spring for leaded steel as it tends to be easier to machine but cheapest is probably HRS which as I recall is also easier to machine than CRS because of the stresses in CRS.
I usually just use whatever junk I have hanging around or have received as scrap from someone. In this case 4" of 1/2" you'd think I'd have in a box or can but not. And I could turn down some thicker scrap that I do have.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You may want to ask the cost of a full length piece, might be the most economical way to go unless their full length is 20'.

I was going to buy two 10' lengths of 1 1/4 HSS and that was going to cost around $115ish. A full length at 24' was,,,,,,, drumroll ,,,,,, $85.
I ended up buying the full length and they cut it into two 10' pieces and I have a 4' piece left over for something else.

If you only need a short piece a tire iron from the junk yard would be a buck or two and they are usually 1/2" dia.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Just wondering if I should spring for leaded steel as it tends to be easier to machine but cheapest is probably HRS which as I recall is also easier to machine than CRS because of the stresses in CRS.
I usually just use whatever junk I have hanging around or have received as scrap from someone. In this case 4" of 1/2" you'd think I'd have in a box or can but not. And I could turn down some thicker scrap that I do have.
I likely have some 1/2" for you.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Don't use cold rolled. Machining the OD is fine, but as soon as you go to mill the slot it might warp on you.

I have this love/hate relationship with CR steel!!

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Don't use cold rolled. Machining the OD is fine, but as soon as you go to mill the slot it might warp on you.

I have this love/hate relationship with CR steel!!
Thanks for the feedback. And yes, 3mm cutters are fragile so I don't need them snapping for some unknown reason.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I know I’m cheap, so my initial thought is why not just grab a 1/2” Grade 2 or better bolt? And cut the slot with a slitting saw and then open up to size?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I know I’m cheap, so my initial thought is why not just grab a 1/2” Grade 2 or better bolt? And cut the slot with a slitting saw and then open up to size?
That's not cheap that's frugal. ;)
Don't have a 1/2" grade 2 bolt hanging around at the moment either. Although if I dug deep enough I suppose I could.
Mostly the problem is I can't go into stores until I test negative. And overall there is no rush because until the 2mm A type broach arrives I can postpone cutting the 3mm keyways.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd buy whatever you want to have on hand for the next project, I don't think it matters much what you use for a broaching bushing. I've made them out of mystery metal before.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I honestly didn't think the 3D printed guide would work but amazingly it did. Not sure if the keyway is up to 'real' metalworkers standards. Probably not.

Upnorth

I honestly didn't think the 3D printed guide would work but amazingly it did. Not sure if the keyway is up to 'real' metalworkers standards. Probably not.
I think people including me underestimate what 3D printed parts are capable of. A friend of mine needed a headstock gear for his large by our standards Mazak clone lathe. He had a friend of his 3D print one and it worked great.