Making A Front Stock For A Rifle

terry_g

Ultra Member
Making a front grip for the 20 gauge barrel for my Handi Rifle. It came with a 30-30 bull barrel so the grip won't fit the skinny 20 gauge barrel. I found a piece of clear birch in a friends wood shed. I cut it to size and put in my milling machine and cut a barrel groove in it. My home made 3/4" ball end router bit left a really nice finish. Just need to sand it and put a finish on it.
The next part will be making the metal part the goes between the stock and the front of the rifle. That is going to be a bit of a challenge. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:

terry_g

Ultra Member
I got most of the machining done on the part. It was easier to make two boring them in the four jaw chuck rather than using a boring head in the mill. I just have to machine the bottom to match the bottom of the rifle and drill holes for the screws and recess the screw heads.
My home made router bit at the bottom.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 5.JPG

terry_g

Ultra Member
I milled them down to the correct thickness and drilled the holes for the screws and recesses for the screw heads.
I have close to five hours into them. Usually its one of the last cuts where I screw up and have to start over.
All that is left is to drill the mounting hole in the stock in the exact right place then put a finish on the stock and fit it to the part I made.

The last cut.
IMG_3091.JPG

The finished parts just need a little deburring. It will get a coat of black paint before I install it.
IMG_3095.JPG

Last edited:

terry_g

Ultra Member
I finished it last night and fitted the new stock. I made a 1/4"-28 screw to hold the stock in place.
IMG_3096.JPG
I clamped the screw between two pieces of hardwood to cut the slot.
IMG_3097.JPG
The finished product.
IMG_3107.JPG
A trip to the range as soon as the rain stops to see how it shoots.
IMG_3105.JPG