Making 5C Collet Block Nuts

terry_g

Ultra Member
The collet block set I ordered the nut was too big to fit in the bore of my 3 jaw chuck. Making a smaller one was the next project.
1.JPG

The 5C collets have an odd sized thread 1.238" x 20 the nuts that came with the collet set measured 1.180" ID. So I turned a piece
that would fit the chuck bore with an ID of 1.180" and single pointed 20 threads per inch in it. I made the part long enough to make
several nuts.
2.JPG

Next I made two cuts with the metal saw. I clamp them in a length of angle iron with a previous cut in it for the saw blade. I think I cut more on the opposite side of the blade than I do in the vice.
4.JPG

Canadian Tire had G96 cold bluing on sale for half price a couple months ago so I bought all four that they had. Its one of the better cold bluing's that I have used.
5.JPG
The end result. The block now butts up against the chuck so its gripped more securely. It probably did not matter as most of the work done in a
collet block is going to be small diameter and light cuts. It was just my OCD kicking in again.
IMG_3177.JPG

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
What is the bore of your lathe? Could you use a drawbar instead of the nut? Easier to use, since you don’t have to remove the block to change collets.

IMG_6887.jpeg

I love making stuff out of the scrap pile. Fortunately I have been able to access a pretty good scrap pile from time to time. Might be time to swing by and see if I am worthy of another shopping spree. Got a bunch of hydraulic pumps, valves and motors on my last spree.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I noticed a big plastic bin at the front door of a tool and die maker. I keep thinking maybe it's a drop box for cutoffs..... I need to take a look someday and maybe go in for a quick visit.