• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Magic Potion Section

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Printed a couple of bottle holders and placed them in a convenient location. Can anyone guess why the orange bottle sits a few mm higher than the blue bottle?
Correct answer wins the Columbo prize.

On another note, I need to find an oil can that dispenses more oil into the ball oilers than drips all over everything, suggestions welcome.
2DFB9147-61A7-47BD-A2DD-2B282BB55837.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice printed accessories. Not going to guess about the height difference though 'cause it will still work fine. (If it was my shop, it would be sitting on swarf!)

About an oil can that works ... the only one I've been extremely happy with is a Reilang. By one or more when young and your grandchildren will be using it/them (if they are still using liquid lubricants then).

On oil cans, the Goldenrod ones amazon sells are pretty good. Haven't tried a Reilang but hear good things. I just splurged for a couple of Abnox pump oilers (one for way oil one for spindle oil) which are also Swiss (for the oil fitting that looks more like a zerk, but unlike a zerk have a round head). The non-swiss one I had would leak all its contents in a few days. Seems absurd you have to pay Swiss prices for a quality oil pump, something that is super common and been around since the the first wrench, but it seems the case.

Last edited:
Oooh, oooh I know, I know ask me !
I'm so familiar with one piece bigger than the other, ya buggered it up !

Oooh, oooh I know, I know ask me !
I'm so familiar with one piece bigger than the other, ya buggered it up !
Bahhhh, wrong, hint both bottles are identical other than color.

Columbo would figure it out, the evidence is in the image.

On oil cans, the Goldenrod ones amazon sells are pretty good. Haven't tried a Reilang but hear good things. I just splurged for a couple of Abnox pump oilers (one for way oil one for spindle oil) which are also Swiss (for the oil fitting that looks more like a zerk, but unlike a zerk have a round head). The non-swiss one I had would leak all its contents in a few days. Seems absurd you have to pay Swiss prices for a quality oil pump, something that is super common and been around since the the first wrench, but it seems the case.
From what I have read the old Goldenrod oilers are great, the new ones are hit and miss,
people who have old and new prefer their old one.

Seems to me that cutting manufacturing costs to the point that makes the item useless is a really bad business strategy.

From what I have read the old Goldenrod oilers are great, the new ones are hit and miss,
people who have old and new prefer their old one.

Seems to me that cutting manufacturing costs to the point that makes the item useless is a really bad business strategy.

Agreed. Yet it seems endless, almost everyone is doing it. I would gladly pay a bit more if knew there was quality, but so many are just playing the game, buy crap from China and crank up the price, you don't know what brands to trust..... until it ends up with buying $100 oil pumps from the Swiss which kind of sucks :(

Damn, I thought I had you, was thinking that the holes were to close together and the bottles were wedging against each other.

Printed a couple of bottle holders and placed them in a convenient location. Can anyone guess why the orange bottle sits a few mm higher than the blue bottle?
Correct answer wins the Columbo prize.

On another note, I need to find an oil can that dispenses more oil into the ball oilers than drips all over everything, suggestions welcome.
View attachment 48941
The orange is printed from different plastic and has to do with shrinkage.

The orange is printed from different plastic and has to do with shrinkage.
Bahhhh..... wrong again, both printed with PLA. Both are identical in size, only the colour is different.

Hints:
Why different color bottles?
What is special about the orange bottle?
Something mysterious and rare about that orange bottle!

Different colour implies different content. Content has expanded the orange bottle?

No expansion, but on the right track. Orange bottle contains Option1, blue bottle contains A1.

Hint: William Gilbert (1540-1603)

Last edited:
That's the way I was going too.
But with that latest hint I'm going to guess magnets are involved

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner. 25x3mm rare earth magnet under the orange bottle to attract and prevent the steel swarf from the dipping brush.

3F9DF6C4-E699-45C2-8C1B-B32A28D694C1.jpeg

Back