• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Machinery Foot Mounts Local?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought my mill & lathe feet from KBC back in the day. They are still available. These are the least expensive.
https://www.kbctools.ca/products/SHOP SUPPLIES/MACHINE MOUNTS @@26 CASTERS/MACHINE MOUNTS/7637.aspx

But just wondering if anyone knows of a Calgary place that carries them? For reference, minimum 500 pound capability per mount.
Also my stems are integrated into the base (at least I think so). Any idea if some mounts allow a different length of all-thread to be screwed in? Or maybe they just don't work that way?

Attachments

• 9-17-2018 0000.jpg
    9-17-2018 0000.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 0

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I know it sounds wierd, but why not make solid aluminum pucks and run bolts to them? If you really need vibration antenuation, get a hocky puck and split it in half and bond it to the aluminum...

I guess I feel I built my shop to make things, and many of the things I make are for the shop...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ya I haven't ruled it out, John. I've heard pros & cons of pucks. Some say they can split over time, others say they don't dampen as well as industrial rubber or can skate under vibration. I can only conclude maybe they vary by material? My dog could chew one all summer vs. 'consume' another in 20 min flat LOL. My floor has a bit more than average slope so I'm concerned if the puck doesn't squish & conform, it might eventually shear the metal bond. I saw a pic using an inverted carriage bolt. It utilizes the already formed rounded head providing kind of a ball/socket fit for sloped floor if the puck/base has a matching indent. The KBC ones are pretty close to my dimensions / weight rating & I've had good luck with them so far. Same old thing $ vs. roll-your-own factor: bolt, tap, aluminum, puck, glue....

Attachments

• 9-18-2018 0000.jpg
    9-18-2018 0000.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would prefer this style personally. Thicker bolts, ball & socket type leveling swivel, thinner rubber. But...like many things I want in my life... USD & typically located at McMaster Carr damit!

Attachments

• 9-18-2018 0003.jpg
    9-18-2018 0003.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
My new lathe is currently levelled in 5/8" grade 8 bolts directly on concrete (no rubber). I'm having some challenges levelling , which I think are attributed to the "grade marker" on the bolt head

I use hockey pucks on my air compressor, it's never moved.... I ordered the feet because I find myself with disposable cash now that my kids are gone.

I favor build vs buy..... just seeing how the other side live dabbler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Discovered Castorland in Calgary carries... kinda. They have certain sizes & not others & are in process of moving. Less expensive but plasticy type bodies which make me suspicious - despite relatively high listed load ratings. Interesting, the plastic must be more of a cover?
https://www.casterland.com/search?q=hwsl

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I love Casterland too. The guy who owns it knows his stuff.

But this is my favourite method to combine levellers and anti-vibration: they are threaded furniture inserts and hockey pucks. You can get the inserts at a hardware store. You drill a through-hole that fits the insert, apply a heat gun to soften up the puck a little and whack it into place to make it flush. I've used them successfully for up to 500 lbs. If I want more softness for vibration, or more height for levelling, I glue rubber mat to the bottom. The nice thing about pucks is that you don't need to put a metal plate between the puck and your machine foot like you do with softer rubber to prevent the foot from wearing down the rubber.

Attachments

• inserts.jpg
    inserts.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
Those ones at Casterland sound great and are reasonably priced. I used hockey pucks to support the steel feet I built. I put the pucks in the lathe and macined a 1/4" deep pocket in each one for the steel foot to sit in.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I favor build vs buy..... just seeing how the other side live dabbler

I went to school with a guy who refused to buy anything he could make. And I mean ANYTHING. He made three ring binders for class from plywood, hinges, nuts and bolts. He even made his own pencils using a mixture of charcoal, clay and a binding agent that was then dipped in resin.

I don't recall him ever having a girlfriend though ;). But maybe he made that too.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I received one of the feet from amazon (rest on back order).. made me laugh. I focused on the bolt height of 1,5 inches , but pretty much ignored the other measurements except weight capacity (800lbs)

This thing is tiny, like small pastry stuff it in your mouth tiny. Needless to say, cancelled the other 5, will put this on a shelf to remind me.

Off to build some feet.......
IMG_3242.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dr.Fiero

I bought my mill & lathe feet from KBC back in the day. They are still available. These are the least expensive.
https://www.kbctools.ca/products/SHOP SUPPLIES/MACHINE MOUNTS @@26 CASTERS/MACHINE MOUNTS/7637.aspx

New guy here (but ancient to the planet in general ;) ).

I've been searching around for the best value on some feet for my 12x24 gear head/engine lathe as well (ie, heavy!!).
Went the Amazon route (what a scam - they get you to buy ONE for like $9, then they're 4X that when it come back in stock!). The 4-3/4" ones are a good size, decent capacity, but the price....after the buy-one-cheap. :/

But those KBC ones look like the deal of the month/year! Other bonus, is the shipping! Flat rate, $10.95!
Sure, you can find cheaper mounts at other places, but the shipping will sometimes be as much as your whole cart.

Ok, rant over. Hi! :)

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Here's my DIY effort. 5/8 inch fine all thread, Jamb nuts, 2-1/2 round stock and 1/2 inch thick rubber cut from a truck bed liner. Rubber sits about 1/16 inch proud of the metal foot and compresses under load. Keeps it from skating on cement floor. And maybe adds some damping? I have 6 of them under a 14 X 40 lathe. They seem to do the job. This set will go under my mill when I get to it. IMG_20190505_132413[1].jpg

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
New guy here (but ancient to the planet in general ;) ).

Ok, rant over. Hi! :)
Rants are allowed.

Casterland probably has some if you decide not to make them. That guy who runs the place is great, and their prices are good.