• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

M3 taps from accusize?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Last edited:

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Same as these? ($19 including shipping) ??
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32869022176.html?
In my very limited experience, I've found that the 'bargain basement' tooling from China isn't very good/dependable (mis-ground drills, mis-sized drills, and a couple of taps that didn't seem to cut well) but the better stuff on AliExpress performs well for me. Up to dozens of holes so far and the taps are holding up well! :) (I'm much more likely to break taps through bad technique rather than wear them out.)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I like Sowa taps a lot & I do a lot of aluminum. Actually even their coated ones intended for steel work fine but I always use fluid.
I'm not as impressed with the cheaper offerings. They are generally not as sharp or true & that's what gets you into trouble.

On Ali & Ebay I see some YG in larger (same size) package quantities but I just cant see myself using 10 so I have passed. But as a brand, they are very good.

Attachments

• SNAGIT.jpg
    SNAGIT.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 0

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't scrimp on taps John. I figure the aggravation and potential scrapped part(s) isn't worth it to me.
I have some spiral flute taps from KBC that did my entire CNC projects which was dozens of power tapped M3, M5 and M6 holes in steel without a single broken tap.
I'll look up the brand tomorrow.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have some spiral flute taps from KBC that did my entire CNC projects which was dozens of power tapped M3, M5 and M6 holes in steel without a single broken tap.
What device/tool are you using to power tap with?

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I like spiral flute taps but I've only used them for hand tapping. How deep were those holes you were tapping - in solid bar or square tubing?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I like spiral flute taps but I've only used them for hand tapping. How deep were those holes you were tapping - in solid bar or square tubing?
They were into .125 wall tubing. I may not have the nomenclature correct but this is what the taps look like.
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 8.58.23 AM.png

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

accusize HSS M3 taps. 10 pack for $30.

I generally need them for tapping aluminium.

Anybody try these from Accusize? I tend to break them so 10 of them is appealing as is the per unit price. Any good?

Or would one good tap from Sowa or another credible tooling manufacturer be as good as 10 of these?

I have lots of these taps brand new made in USA or Europe. Do you need them? I also have like M2.6 and similar - new made in USA.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm on the team that says don't buy cheap taps. Nothing worse than a tap broken off in a hole or a tap that won't cut. I stopped buying cheap taps a while back and I have no regrets. Now I go to my closest jobber and buy individual quality taps. Usually dormer. But sometimes a few other brands if they don't have dormer. I believe dormer is made in South America. What is important is that they work for me. They even worked in that undrillobillium on my Mill Saddle.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
We used to tap tool steel as well as aluminum in cartridges at Ex-Cell-O.
I have been tapping with my King Mill, ensures that the tap stays aligned . . .
or use a Tapping Block like in tech class.

If you purchase some, make sure they are the ‘Machine’ taps.
The off-shore taps may be ‘hand’ taps and they won’t last as long.

Tapping fluids will preserve the cutting edges and reduce galling.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Our group in Clinton ON was making Boring Bars and Indexable Carbide Cartridges for special applications in military and manufacturing companies.
Great bunch of toolmakers there in the 1980s.
Clinton was a feeder plant for the larger London, ON, assembly operations.

The CNC section of the plant was producing components for the #602 vertical knee mills.
Yes, they are a very solid mill and usually demand a lot of bidders at auctions.

The Canadian Versions had the head castings with the name ‘Ex-Cell-O’ above the spindle speed dials.

What is you background and where are you @buckbrush ?