Loud auto air drain valve

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Excellent.!
I often wondered what a plain car muffler would do. It might be a pain to figure out where the internal tubes & baffles & insulation packing is orientated in order to get a drain in there. But most of the raw ingredients are already in place. Maybe hacksaw off a new-ish looking one at a wreckers? I'm not sure if there is any bad stuff in there safety wise.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Great work John!

Peter, I wonder that the steel muffler would just rust in the moist environment. Even a flex hose filled with plastic scrubbies might work well enough. I'll try that when my shop is working again...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The muffler is an interesting idea. It’s tuned to engine noise though. Good experiment. Engine Exhaust is quite wet especially until it warms up so maybe a muffler could take it fine. It has to or maybe that is part of why it seems they don’t last.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Fair point. I can't speak to how corrosion resistant the innards are. Combustion exhaust makes H2O. You can see it running out the tailpipe on a cold day just after staring. But it must be flow through vapor for the most part. I'm not sure if rust (holes) start from the inside or more from the outside road conditions & salt etc.? If the wall was packed with material it might be more difficult to make an effective drain. Some mufflers look to have insulation & others don't, or only on the ends. I think the primary ingredient you see from weedwackers to big engines is some kind of perforated pipe or plates to disperse acoustic waves or even just offset tubes with weirs to redirect the pressure pulses inside the can.

Attachments

• SNAG-3-5-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-3-5-2020 0000.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0

Brian Ross

Mufflers will rust out much quicker on vehicles that are primarily used for short trips where there isn't enough time for the muffler to get hot enough to keep condensation from forming inside. I would think that you would have rusting on the inside if used for an air compressor muffler. Who knows how long it would last but would guess that it would fill up with water since there isn't a direct path for liquids to drain.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
This is the inside showing the foam baffles.

ADDE5D2D-83AD-49BC-BC91-F08939E80A3C.jpeg
I also added an inexpensive $4 humidity sensor. 8C0D1152-1D8D-40E1-A0A4-B96BE9BE8951.jpeg

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
7D0E28C4-BD2F-47CE-B190-C362870A30D8.jpeg 0EE956AF-8C9C-4D3E-9A29-92DA138331A1.jpeg E85AF06A-EDA2-4D83-A506-C9DFC75C2E0F.jpeg
Huh, apparently you can buy brass mufflers. The one on my old solenoid is a different style but maybe I’ll hang onto it. They had a bunch of different sizes too. My new solenoid is 1/8” NPT, it’s gotta be a quarter as loud with the muffler installed.

Who knew.