Looking hard for a melting furnace.

Robzee

I need a 3kg melting furnace for silver, anyone have one of these for sale or even rent for a few pours? Thanks

Robzee

Wow 3kgs of silver...that's going to be quite the pretty project
Haha that will be for a multi piece pour, but yes 3kilo would make an astounding piece!! My largest planned pour at the moment is around 25oz though so not too far off

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I don't know much about melting furnaces but I've seen some great plans/ideas for making them yourself...I guess you must have ruled that option out? How about an electric kiln?...I see those sometimes at reasonable prices on Kijij. I think they would get hot enough for silver?

Robzee

So I don't know much about melting furnaces but I've seen some great plans/ideas for making them yourself...I guess you must have ruled that option out? How about an electric kiln?...I see those sometimes at reasonable prices on Kijij. I think they would get hot enough for silver?
While I absolutely love the idea of doing a diy, I need this one to be electric and able to run in my house. In my specific situation that means no dot on this one. I may however try to do this this summer and build a secondary melter

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Lee precision (google them) sells an inexpensive ($125 Can and can be sourced in cowtown) melting pot (several models actually) to the lead bullet caster market, not sure if they will attain 961 deg. tho. I have had a lead melt in my 20 lb'er up to 850-875 but started to turn it down at that temp, it still had a bit of adjustment left on the temp controller tho.

I think member YYC has one with a PID controller and can probably test to achieve over 960 deg. ...just don't do it with lead in the pot as, if the lead gets real close to 1000 deg the experts claim that that is the temp that noxious fumes start to boil off

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Doug,

960 C translates to 1760 F. An electric lead melting pot won't achieve that. My lead thermometer is only scaled to 1000 F. 1800 F requires a forge.

Craig

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have a large klin but I have not played around with it yet - so this is not something I can do in near future - I think it needs proper temp cones.

You can get jewlery melting stuff cheap from China off eBay.

Robzee

Thank you so much for for the help all of you, however I do think I’m going to try the 3kg melter I was originally thinking of the other day. Amazon I believe. Maybe a diy version coming later in the year when I have time! Thanks for all the input!