• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

looking for the back gear assembly for an Atlas 618 lathe

I recently bought this 6 inch lathe, its my first one so I wasn't aware of all of the parts it comes with and have recently noticed that the entire back gear assembly is missing. If anyone has one for sale or knows where I could get one it will be appreciated

Tom Fitzpatrick

I have purchased from them - be careful as the 4 jaw chuck I bought had a lot of internal teeth on each of the four adjustors missing - looked good on the outside but the missing teeth don't allow for smooth adjustment.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There have been numerous fellows that part them out on ebay. The prices have always seemed astronomically high to me. I believe there are people that buy complete lathes and break them down for parts and probably get 3-4 times the price for the lathe by doing so.
Missing the back gear assembly seems odd, you might want to check all other components before spending money on that.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I recently bought this 6 inch lathe, its my first one so I wasn't aware of all of the parts it comes with and have recently noticed that the entire back gear assembly is missing. If anyone has one for sale or knows where I could get one it will be appreciated

Welcome!

My Atlas 618 was a disaster when I bought it (cheap). Joel at MyMachineShop supplied several critical items for me. There are also some parts (like cross feed and split nuts) still available through Clausing Service Centre (800-323-0972). Watch out for shipping though. I ordered the M6-19A nut for USD $28 with no mention of shipping. They sent it ExpressPost at a cost USD $25!

BTW, did you get a set of change gears with your lathe? It is of limited use without them and they'll set you back over USD $100 to buy a used set. Another option is to 3D print some gears.

Anyway, we love pictures so 'share-em if you got-em'!

Craig
PS I have a handful of leftover items. Post if you find other stuff that you're missing or need to replace. Not sure where you are located but mailing doesn't cost that much.

I'm mostly loacted in Ottawa but I spend a lot of time in Windsor as well. I bought the lathe in Windsor from a guy who said he had it for about 8 years. It didn't seem like he used it all that much, and I think he bought it in the same condition as what he sold me. It did come with some extra gears , which I believe are the change gears, a chuck key and few other small items. I got it for a little more than 400 bucks , which I thought was a good deal at the time but looking at it now I'll probably need to spend a decent chunk on a few parts to make it work like its intended to.

The machine mostly works, as mentioned the entire back gear assembly is missing, the black ball handle on the belt tensioner is missing .. I ordered a similar one from ebay , should be here from China in about 2 months .. The chuck in the tail stock doesn't seem to have the correct shank as it spins freely while inside the stock. It's not a morse taper, so I'm assuming once I replace the shank it should work fine.

I think the only item I will need to order from the link above is possibly the handle for the cross carriage. The one it has on it right now is home made and although it does the job I would prefer to have something that resembles the original

The rest of the lathe appears to be all there, I will still need to set it up on my bench but once I do I'll attach a few pics

as for pricing, yes .. its astronomical indeed, especially for what it is, not to mention the import fees if you're ordering outside of Canada.. and the odds are it will be. The other problem is that some people, especially on ebay , will not ship to Canada. Pre covid, I used to order everything I needed to a mail box service in Detroit that was operated by a company and for about 5 bucks per package, I was able to get whatever I needed to be delivered there. Too bad that is not an option right now since I found a couple of parts sold seperately that I could piece together to form the back gears but a lot of them won't deliver up here, so I guess this will just have to be a slow restoration project.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Here is the parts guide. It should help you figure out what's missing.

Attachments

• Atlas2_618.pdf
    542.1 KB · Views: 5