Looking for availability of Cast Iron billits here in Alberta

I am building a 0.800 scaled bench hand shaper to a circa 1900 of French design and having an awful time locating any kind (shape) here in Canada, I can get any type and size in the US but the shipping cost is a disaster, can any member direct me to the source in Alberta, I have tried Metal Supermarket in Calgary and they don't even stock it, they can order it probably from US, but that's the same as me ordering,

Edmund,

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm keen on this too Tom. Can you volunteer some approximate prices?
I was after round rods of ~1.5" diameter & unfortunately could only see USA sources in 1-2 foot sections. The price wasn't bad but the (UPS) shipping dinger fees was a killer.
http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8386-cast-iron.aspx
But I have some projects that would benefit from rectangular bars & slabs.

Tom O

Ultra Member
When I bought my roundstock it was as below, That was 2 years ago I'll see what I can find out I belive they are still there.
4" x 12 = $60.00
4.5" x 12 = $80.00
5" x 12 = $ 90.00

When I bought my roundstock it was as below, That was 2 years ago I'll see what I can find out I belive they are still there.
4" x 12 = $60.00
4.5" x 12 = $80.00
5" x 12 = $ 90.00

That's very good of you Tom, I do appreciate, at your own convenience there is no rush at this end,

On another note, I'm searching for a 3/8-12 acme tap any members have any suggestion, I really would like to keep it in Canada if possible, even used (second hand) would do,

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Acme taps are quite expensive so be ready for that. I just checked kbc but they dont have anything that small. Darn it! I gave up looking for my acme tap because 7/8 acme tap was $150-$270

Someone else was looking for leadscrew type taps. They are not super common it seems. At least around here.
Maybe try Thomas Skinner.

or ebay, not in Canada but will ship
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Zyltech-ACME...883873?hash=item4af6b8c421:g:~z4AAOSwSzdXC6t1

Yes Peter, I have my eye on that one if all else fails, thanks for going to the trouble and the help, I did a stupid thing, brain dead, I forgot I needed two nuts for the threaded rod I bought, so I figure for roughly the same cost I might as well have the tap and make my own nuts,

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
DGI can get the tap you want and it will probably be cheaper than TS email my buddy and tell him this code is from his KAR catalog 311566. that will be a single pas 3/8-12 acme tap. his email is cvanmil@dgisupply.ca

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
4" x 12 = $60.00....

So I called Sovereign today. Apparently they did offer CI off-cuts once upon a time from work they were doing then, but are now completely out that material &/or side of the business. He said they do custom castings & specific CI production work, but anyways no more off-cut logs or bars. Dangit. Thanks for providing lead anyway.

I'm starting to think I'm going to save up an order from Speedy Metal in USA & have it shipped to one of those cross border depots. I might pop down to Montana for an RC event spring/summer anyway. The USA shipping isn't too bad, its the Canadian side & UPS dinger fees which is the only way they ship.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have some cast iron - through its not a 4" - I think I have a piece that is 2.25 and another that is a 3+