• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for advice for a lathe/mill

Murdoch

HI guys, I'm rather new to the lathe but for my project i thought that I'm going to need one. Trouble is fund's are scarce. I put an ad in kijiji looking for a lathe with possibly a milling attachment starting budget of $500. Could go more if the fit is right. Any thoughts guys, I will be working with aluminum mostly. Just small parts for my exoskeleton War-Machine. Appreciate any advice you can send my way.
I did get a response to my ad today for an Atlas 618...GMurdoch

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
An Atlas 618 is a good starting machine - providing it is in good shape. If you get one with troubles, it takes advanced skills and tooling to set it right. Your budget is good for a small machine needing work, but one in good shape might cost you more. There are great videos on utube doing a survey of a lathe to find major problems.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Find like minded local guys and trade back and forth. Post an ad on the forum. Getting some hands on experience with something, anything, will greatly shape your experience and inform you on what you actually want. I went through all that - like everybody else - learning about the equipment and what I wanted to do with it, I then bought bigger gear and sold some of the smaller stuff. Purchasing is a big deal and I suspect you may want more of a lathe than the $500 will get you. Another idea - we have a maker space 'club' here in Calgary. Join and you can use their metal working equipment. I imagine something like that exists out east too.

Murdoch

Find like minded local guys and trade back and forth. Post an ad on the forum. Getting some hands on experience with something, anything, will greatly shape your experience and inform you on what you actually want. I went through all that - like everybody else - learning about the equipment and what I wanted to do with it, I then bought bigger gear and sold some of the smaller stuff. Purchasing is a big deal and I suspect you may want more of a lathe than the $500 will get you. Another idea - we have a maker space 'club' here in Calgary. Join and you can use their metal working equipment. I imagine something like that exists out east too.
I think you suspect right and my budget is probably gonna have to be higher...