• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for a teacher!!!

Hey All, I have recently become quite fascinated with metal work and building custom knives. I am looking for someone that would be willing to work with me in THEIR workshop to help me build my first knife. I have Zero experience but keen to learn.

Is there anyone in the Calgary area that would be willing to help me out?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hopefully someone on the forum or someone who knows someone... In the mean time, some other links

Saw this in Kijiji, Lethbridge though
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-cam...ifemaking-classes-prebooking-class/1063035426

I met Al briefly at the Reynolds museum fall metalworker/artisan show. He does classes & I got the impression different themes. Mannville though.
http://www.storchknives.com/classes/

I had this company do some heat treating. Nice guy & very knowledgeable. I don't see classes, just supplies & services. But might be worth a call because he is obviously connected to the community (Sundre).
https://www.knifemaker.ca/

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Sait has an excellent course for learning knifemaking basics. My personal opinion, from seeing the teacher's knives he makes for money, is that he has great basic skills, but his finishing skills are wanting. Still a great resource...

I'm about 1/2 way done making a custom hunting knife from scratch. If you are in Calgary, we can meet for coffee, and I and show you what I'm doing, and how I'm doing it. I also have several custom knives from very good knifemakers you might be able to learn a thing or 2 from....

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I didn't know about this other dimension to your wide range of life interests, Dabbler LOL. Yet another thing to chat about one day! I'd like to see what you've made too. I would like to make a blade one day (especially because I know where to get them heat treated now) but best I stick with the top-100 priorities right now,

Johnwa

Ultra Member
We were walking through inglewood today and took a look at some Japanese knives. They have a blacksmith tour/stampede breakfast next Sunday.

https://knifewear.com

The knives in the store are very very sharp.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I love that place. Actually the way it came about was I got a gift certificate for a knife skills session. The workshop was 'ok', learned a few things. But that then entitles you to a ?10-15%? discount off store purchase. Smart advertising actually because you can try all the different blade types & handle styles to your personal liking. I think I over-ran my onion quota.

BTW some of the blade folks that show up at Reynolds Museum fall show (metal artisans event I think they call it) bring a lot of their knives, obviously to sell but most are very happy to chat you up about the technical details. I think that museum is one of Albertas best kept secret if you have never been & the fall show has a few other things going on.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
... but best I stick with the top-100 priorities right now,
I had a Project Management instructor once who used to say, "If you have more than one top priority, you have no priorities."

I found out years later he was single. Suddenly it all made sense.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Use youtube. It is a great place to start. then find a knifemaker that you love their creations. Then try to emulate them