Tool Looking for a Drill Press machine that will do 1/2" drill and bore without making a mess

Tool
I looked at the King Canada 13" Drill Press on the internet and the words in the ad look about right but I have never had one in my hands.

Is this a decent tool.? I'd like a good enough drill that I can drill and bore 1/2" mild steel without making a mess.
I think the laser thing is kind of goofy but it looks like it has adequate power to drill slowly. Are any other Canadian drills worth looking at?

thanks,
R

I looked at the King Canada 13" Drill Press on the internet and the words in the ad look about right but I have never had one in my hands.

Is this a decent tool.? I'd like a good enough drill that I can drill and bore 1/2" mild steel without making a mess.
I think the laser thing is kind of goofy but it looks like it has adequate power to drill slowly. Are any other Canadian drills worth looking at?

thanks,
R
I've had something smaller and yes they all work (13", 17" and so on refers to throat depth, though not very accurately), biggest thing is setting your speed right, and having enough hp in the motor to do so, and the King has enough.

Laser guidance, my machine didn't come with one and I added an aftermarket one, works very well in getting an almost perfect alignment to start, the center punch and drill itself does the rest. I wish I started with one earlier, I post a pic of mine on the site.

Mess :oops::D, drilling makes a mess as it is difficult to contain chips, nature of the beast, just clean, sweep and vacuum.

1/2" go slow, good press and let the bit do the work, I regularly drill 1/2 and 1" thick Al, very occasionally 1/2" thick steel with 1/2 bits, for 1" holes I use an annular bit as it leaves a better finish less post processing.

In all cases for best results use lubrication metal specific preferred, WD40 if nothing else is available to keep the bit "cool", longer life, better finish.

If your lazy like I am, set the speed for the largest bit you use, smaller bits will just cut slower and not suffer.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you’re near Burlington - come have a look at the one i have for sale on the forum’s Classifieds (with lots of pictures). It’s in very good condition. You’re welcome to come try it out to make sure the 13” size will suit your needs.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I spent 4 years in North Dakota - so yes i can relate to your Winterpeg name modification.