Tool Looking for a decent ER32 R8 collet chuck

Tool

Eyecon

Hi,
I'm looking for a ER32 R8 shank collet chuck with reasonable TIR. The ones I could source on Amazon(including the pricier Accusize) all have a runout > .04mm/.0015" which is relatively high for using small end mills(1-3 mm range). Any suggestions?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Hi,
I'm looking for a ER32 R8 shank collet chuck with reasonable TIR. The ones I could source on Amazon(including the pricier Accusize) all have a runout > .04mm/.0015" which is relatively high for using small end mills(1-3 mm range). Any suggestions?

Almost all Chinese stuff will be roughly the same - so if purchased from Amazon - return for full refund.

Problem is R8 is not standard stuff - i.e. its not a world standard so not a priority for Chinese to make better stuff - it is mostly for small NA market.

You may have to go to brand name stuff which will cost you 3x or 4x the price of China.

How did you measure the TIR? I would first make sure my spindle has low runout, then measure the runout on the inside taper of ER collet. Then if that was low I know chuck is good but maybe the collet / nut are bad.

Here, you can see Polish made R8 to ER32 - available in US / Canada - https://www.toolmex.com/customer/docs/TMXTools/Literature/TMXR8_4-999-1804_v2_web.pdf

Above is Bison chuck maker so do not expect low price.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They are usually pretty good on their claims.

@Eyecon - The one that @RobinHood linked above is the same one I have. It met their claim. If you decide to go with it, and for whatever reason accusize fails to meet your expectations, give them a call. Doesn't matter if you bought through Amazon or direct. They have ALWAYS made good on their problems for me.

Eyecon

@Eyecon - The one that @RobinHood linked above is the same one I have. It met their claim. If you decide to go with it, and for whatever reason accusize fails to meet your expectations, give them a call. Doesn't matter if you bought through Amazon or direct. They have ALWAYS made good on their problems for me.
I bought and returned 2 of the Accusize chucks from Amazon thinking the first one was a fluke and the TIR on both was .04mm. Good to know that they stand behind their products. I’ll try again in this case and give them a call

@Tom Kitta I measure the runout by taking an average of the TIR on the inside of the er32 taper. My spindle R8 runout is about .002mm…it’s a hair less than a division on my 2um indicator. Thank you for the additional links!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought and returned 2 of the Accusize chucks from Amazon thinking the first one was a fluke and the TIR on both was .04mm. Good to know that they stand behind their products. I’ll try again in this case and give them a call

Were they the particular arbour that @RobinHood linked above or the less precise one they also offer? Mine is not labelled Accusize. It is labelled CanCNC. But it is sold by Accusize. The part number is 0223-0232.

0.04 mm is 0.0016 inches. Doesn't take much to generate that kind of difference. I assume you cleaned the oil and dust in the spindle taper and the Arbour.

Did you measure your spindle first? And did you measure your spindle with another R8 arbour of some kind to confirm your spindle runout? Their claim is not total runout. It is the additional runout the collet taper adds to all the other rumout in the system.

Eyecon

Were they the particular arbour that @RobinHood linked above or the less precise one they also offer? Mine is not labelled Accusize. It is labelled CanCNC. But it is sold by Accusize. The part number is 0223-0232.

0.04 mm is 0.0016 inches. Doesn't take much to generate that kind of difference. I assume you cleaned the oil and dust in the spindle taper and the Arbour.

Did you measure your spindle first? And did you measure your spindle with another R8 arbour of some kind to confirm your spindle runout? Their claim is not total runout. It is the additional runout the collet taper adds to all the other rumout in the system.
Yes same one labeled CanCnc. R8 to Er32 chuck. Looks really well made and finished which is why I thought the first one must have been a fluke. I keep verifying my R8 spindle runout each time to make sure. I did not only measure the spindle runout directly on the R8 taper but also using a R8 to J6 drill chuck arbor also from Accusize. The runout on the arbor matches the direct TIR on my spindle taper which is less than .002mm or about 80 millionths of an inch. So the issue is not my spindle, the runout is introducers by the grind on the er32 taper. To make sure no dirt or other issues are introduced I also measure the TIR on the OD of the chuck’s arbor…there’s a tiny section still exposed after mounting in the spindle and that tracks exactly the same as the TIR on the spindle. Installed some high end collets that I know run within .005mm (from my CNC spindle) and using a gauge pin also agrees with my measurements, consistently .04-.05mm runout that is coming from the Accusize collet chuck.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yes same one labeled CanCnc. R8 to Er32 chuck. Looks really well made and finished which is why I thought the first one must have been a fluke. I keep verifying my R8 spindle runout each time to make sure. I did not only measure the spindle runout directly on the R8 taper but also using a R8 to J6 drill chuck arbor also from Accusize. The runout on the arbor matches the direct TIR on my spindle taper which is less than .002mm or about 80 millionths of an inch. So the issue is not my spindle, the runout is introducers by the grind on the er32 taper. To make sure no dirt or other issues are introduced I also measure the TIR on the OD of the chuck’s arbor…there’s a tiny section still exposed after mounting in the spindle and that tracks exactly the same as the TIR on the spindle. Installed some high end collets that I know run within .005mm (from my CNC spindle) and using a gauge pin also agrees with my measurements, consistently .04-.05mm runout that is coming from the Accusize collet chuck.

Well, return for refund. Accusize is just a reseller - they take some cheap stuff from China and slap their name on them - just like say Vevor (which is like 100x bigger). They do not have a dedicated factory in China or a "brand".
There is a chance that a whole batch of these chucks is bad. Like whole production run is off. So someone may have gotten identical stuff say a year ago and is great while new stuff is all junk.

Runout of 0.0016 is not acceptable in a collet chuck. This is a runout of some drill chucks I have.

If you feel adventurous ... re-grind the sucker.

Eyecon

Well, return for refund. Accusize is just a reseller - they take some cheap stuff from China and slap their name on them - just like say Vevor (which is like 100x bigger). They do not have a dedicated factory in China or a "brand".
There is a chance that a whole batch of these chucks is bad. Like whole production run is off. So someone may have gotten identical stuff say a year ago and is great while new stuff is all junk.

Runout of 0.0016 is not acceptable in a collet chuck. This is a runout of some drill chucks I have.

If you feel adventurous ... re-grind the sucker.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well but not looking forward to setting up the die grinder and tilting the head etc…for in place re-grind .I’ll try one more time and call them as suggested if the runout is bad. If it doesn’t work out I’ll try some of the other ones suggested by others on this topic.

Agreed, the runout on my 50 dollar keyless drill chuck is .02mm/ .0008” hence my question.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well but not looking forward to setting up the die grinder and tilting the head etc…for in place re-grind .I’ll try one more time and call them as suggested if the runout is bad. If it doesn’t work out I’ll try some of the other ones suggested by others on this topic.

Agreed, the runout on my 50 dollar keyless drill chuck is .02mm/ .0008” hence my question.

That sucks. If you have had 2 bad ones in a row, @Tom Kitta is prolly right. It's a bad batch.

I'd still call them. But be nice. Just tell them you have tried x times and all bad. Tell them to check their suppliers quality procedures. In my case, they actually sent me the quality report, which I told them told me that their supplier should get the boot. Next thing I knew a free set of 5 replacement BXA holders arrived at my door - all perfect, and I got to keep the old ones too - which I repaired.

I have learned to like accusize. They have been good to me and actually seem to care which is better than many bigger outfits.

Eyecon

That sucks. If you have had 2 bad ones in a row, @Tom Kitta is prolly right. It's a bad batch.

I'd still call them. But be nice. Just tell them you have tried x times and all bad. Tell them to check their suppliers quality procedures. In my case, they actually sent me the quality report, which I told them told me that their supplier should get the boot. Next thing I knew a free set of 5 replacement BXA holders arrived at my door - all perfect, and I got to keep the old ones too - which I repaired.

I have learned to like accusize. They have been good to me and actually seem to care which is better than many bigger outfits.
Very good to know, I know they are a Canadian reseller so I’d much rather buy through them than to import from the US or Asia.