• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for a Collet Chuck

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If its a mini lathe, collets in the spindle bore or adapter sleeve with a collet closer or drawbar would probably work better in terms of rigidity.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought a OZ25 collet system for mine relatively cheap an really like it other than it is oddball and a bit difficult to find. I think it has the best holding capabilities of the er collets systems due to its size, but I could be mistaken.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I bought a OZ25 collet system for mine relatively cheap an really like it other than it is oddball and a bit difficult to find. I think it has the best holding capabilities of the er collets systems due to its size, but I could be mistaken.

But you're not running a mini-lathe are you.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of buying a Collet Chuck for my Mini Lathe, What are your recommendations ?

I don't think I can help with a specific recommendation. But I sure can vouch for the merits of a collet chuck.

My lathe is a 14x40 with a D1-5 spindle head. I bought a 5C Collet chuck for it 5 years ago or so and I LOVE IT!! It is my goto chuck now for most jobs. It lives on my lathe more often than any other chuck. It's accurate, strong, and simple to use. I highly recommend a collet chuck. If you get one you will be glad you did.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Little Machine Shop

A bit spendy by the time you get all the collets, but direct bolt-on to most mini lathes.

as Susquatch says, once you have a collect chuck you’ll wonder how you got along without one

And LMS are very nice people to deal with.

1641002911759.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Little Machine Shop

A bit spendy by the time you get all the collets, but direct bolt-on to most mini lathes.

as Susquatch says, once you have a collect chuck you’ll wonder how you got along without one

And LMS are very nice people to deal with.

View attachment 19377

I was just going to suggest this but ER32 might be a little over kill for his spindle bore. Maybe ER20 along with a ER20 MT2 chuck for the tail stock. ER20 is a lot less expensive with lots of chucks and collets available on AliExpress.

gerritv

Gerrit
ER32 would be a good size. His spindle bore is 20mm.
Get metric collets, they fit more inferial size stock. You can always buy a few inferial sized ones. AliExpress has a good selection. You can get the plain back ER32 chuck there as well and only order the back plate from LMS.

I have ER16, ER20 and ER32 collets (for d-bit grinder, CNC spindle and 10x22 lathe respectively). Overall I prefer 5C now but that chuck is oversized for a 7x12.

Gerrit

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
ER32 would be a good size. His spindle bore is 20mm.
Get metric collets, they fit more inferial size stock. You can always buy a few inferial sized ones. AliExpress has a good selection. You can get the plain back ER32 chuck there as well and only order the back plate from LMS.

I have ER16, ER20 and ER32 collets (for d-bit grinder, CNC spindle and 10x22 lathe respectively). Overall I prefer 5C now but that chuck is oversized for a 7x12.

Gerrit

20mm? That's just as big as my 9" Utilathe? ER32 would work then, but I haven't seen any ER32 MT2 chucks out there, should one want to do double duty with a chuck for the tailstock.

I agree with getting the metric collets, spans the whole range.

Last edited:

gerritv

Gerrit
You don't want to have the ER32 on an MTxxx, ask me how I know. It prevents you from doing through bore work in the collet. Hence the 'mount ER32 on a back plate' method.
I have an ER32 MT4, which is now useless to me with the 5C available. But it got me through a dry spell.

Gerrit

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You don't want to have the ER32 on an MTxxx, ask me how I know. It prevents you from doing through bore work in the collet. Hence the 'mount ER32 on a back plate' method.
I have an ER32 MT4, which is now useless to me with the 5C available. But it got me through a dry spell.

Gerrit

Wasn't thinking a MT3 for the spindle, but rather a MT2 for the tailstock, and yes a ER32 on a back plate for the spindle.

eotrfish

Super User
YYCHM

Here are some photos of the Schaublin E25 collet chucks. You could always get a MT3 - MT2 sleeve and use one in your headstock.

SCHAUBLIN 03.jpg

Top row - 1/8 3/16 1/4 5/16 3/8 7/16 1/2

Bottom row - 1/8 3/16 1/4 --- 3/8 --- 1/2

SCHAUBLIN 02.jpg SCHAUBLIN 01.jpg