• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for a 1/3 or 1/2 HP Electric Motor

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
120 Volt, Single Phase, 5/8" dia keyed Shaft, Reversible. It will be going on my 9" Utilathe. Ideally in Calgary or vicinity.

Let me know if you have something to part with.

Thanks,

Craig

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Too bad. I've got a brand new 1/4 HP GE motor. But the shaft isn't keyed and it's 1/2"

bernie

Hi Craig I have a 1/3hp Westinghouse with 5/8" keyed shaft. I salvaged it from the house my son bought in merritt - the people who sold it just left everything. The old fellow was a tinkerer and I hauled about 15 motors home that the kids were gonna haul to scrap. I don't want anything for it but I'm not sure how to get it there. We are going in August if you're not in a rush.
B

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I think ⅓ hp won‘t be adequate. I have a ½ hp on my 9” SB and it is about right. The SB also doesn’t have any headstock gears to eat up power.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hi Craig I have a 1/3hp Westinghouse with 5/8" keyed shaft. I salvaged it from the house my son bought in merritt - the people who sold it just left everything. The old fellow was a tinkerer and I hauled about 15 motors home that the kids were gonna haul to scrap. I don't want anything for it but I'm not sure how to get it there. We are going in August if you're not in a rush.
B

PM Sent

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think ⅓ hp won‘t be adequate. I have a ½ hp on my 9” SB and it is about right. The SB also doesn’t have any headstock gears to eat up power.

I think I would prefer 1/2 hp as well. The user manual states 1/3 hp?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Have you disassembled your existing motor? Replacing a bearing or two shouldn‘t be too difficult.

If you go with a replacement make sure it is capacitor start. It takes a bit of torque to get things moving.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Have you disassembled your existing motor? Replacing a bearing or two shouldn‘t be too difficult.

If you go with a replacement make sure it is capacitor start. It takes a bit of torque to get things moving.

Capacitor start? As in having one of those cylindrical protrusions mounted on the side of it? I thought all AC motors where like that?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Smaller ones like those used in furnace fans don't have capacitors. They don’t have much starting torque.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Smaller ones like those used in furnace fans don't have capacitors. They don’t have much starting torque.

I see what you mean now. My bandsaw motor doesn't have a capacitor. Interesting in that it's 3/4 HP yet 2/3 the size of the 3/4 HP with capacitor on my PHS.