• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Look at what I found today....

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
METALBAR.JPG

Am I hooked or what LOL. I was out Pheasant hunting with my cousin today and tripped over this laying in the rut of an over grown cart trail. Hauled it 2 km back to the truck. 12" x 1" x 3"

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yup you’re hooked.
I’m always on the lookout for metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everett

Super User
Nice find! It truly is addicting, looking for bits of material that "could be useful." I'm like a rat at a carnival in the scrap metal bin at work (heavy truck shop). That piece of yours was well worth hauling back to the truck!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Check it with file to see whatever it is cast - cut a bit and then put white paper to it - if it darkens it then its cast.

It could be a piece of a pad for a fence.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Check it with file to see whatever it is cast - cut a bit and then put white paper to it - if it darkens it then its cast.

It could be a piece of a pad for a fence.

I just tried you white paper CI test.... works like a charm. Thanks for the tip.

The piece isn't CI. It's steel of some sort.

What's a pad for a fence?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I picked up an aluminum transmission on the side of the road once. That’s when I realized I was turning into my dad,

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hey Craig nice find. Family lore has it our great, great, great, grandmother lost that chunk of mystery steel while traveling through AB in a red river cart pulled by 2 oxen, way back when. Apparently this huge pheasant flew up in front of her so she reached back grabbing the chunk of metal and let fly at the pheasant and got it but never found that piece of steel. Would be very honourable on your part to ship it prepaid to MJ. LOL

So how went your bird hunting?

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
A total bust, didn't fire a single shot between the three of us. The dog brought us a cripple and ran one down way out of range to get a shot off. Lots of people out but no birds.

The day with pals is well worth the outing and you found mystery steel. I would like to bet it's mild steel give it a small drill or file test.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The day with pals is well worth the outing and you found mystery steel. I would like to bet it's mild steel give it a small drill or file test.

No complaints from me, it's more of a social event than anything else;)