• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

LMS thread hole chart re metric

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just discovered something about many of the thread hole charts when it comes to their 'metrification'. Little Machine Shop for example. Not picking on them because others appear to do the same. I was wondering why my CAD drawings rarely aligned to the LMS wall chart in my shop. In my CAD program I select the hole from a drop-down which also specifies the standard. I can convert dimensions between imperial & metric & assumed that was the root of the issue.

For example a clearance hole for M3 fastener, all 3 common metric standards (ANSI, ISO & DIN) provide 3 categories: Close, Normal & Loose. All 3 have the same dimensions which correspond to mm drills in 10ths as shown in the spreadsheet. The LMS chart has only 2 categories, Close & Standard, neither of which correspond to the metric standards. And the substitute drills are kind of somewhere in between. This might not make any difference to your day to day work, but just be aware. I think its meant to be helpful to N-Am/Imp tooled shops to get something close.

Attachments

• EDT-2021-10-21 3.18.20 PM.jpg
    EDT-2021-10-21 3.18.20 PM.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SNAG-2021-10-21 3.36.03 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-10-21 3.36.03 PM.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If anyone comes across a chart with all 3 metric categories (as opposed to an IMP conversion chart or only 2 categories) I'd be interested to know.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Peter,

This might be what you are looking for (from “Tabellenbuch Metall, section 5.2 Schrauben (bolts), pg. 220):

1F7CF367-B749-40AE-B8B6-6B2A818FB653.jpeg

Durchgangslöcher für Schrauben = through (clearance) holes for bolts
Gewinde = thread
Reihe = column in the table
fein = fine (close) tolerance per H12
mittel = medium (normal) tolerance per H13
grob = coarse (loose) tolerance per H14

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Interesting. Is that like a European version of our Machineries Handbook?
I would have thought this would be readily available online info. I even have a table in my Machineries Handbook (25th Ed)

My EX-favorite site went into adbocker hostage mode, grrrr...
https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/index.html

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry to be so late chiming in. I use a drill/tap chart app on my android phone. It has lots of other threading info too.

The app is called "Tap and Drill Chart Calculator". It has metric and imperial and lists fits as well as material and also shows next best fit.

Everett

Super User
Never used the Tallenbuch Metall, but have the 29th MH and used the charts in it a few times for threads. For most of my fit work, because even though I can do the wire calculation but am a tad lazy, I use the Theoretical Machinist calculator. Handy for odd ball threads if you need to use them.