Levelling feet

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
I am looking for some levelling feet for the lathe I’m working on and the new DVair 447 I just got. Similar to these: EAE5F6C0-B52A-491B-8059-8C62B6CA914D.png

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
How big should I go? It seems if I go to th hole site in base of lathe I’m at some massive poundage and price. I thought 1000 lb. per foot on lathe and even on the compressor since it may vibrate. The compressor is over 1200 lbs.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I went with the 4" but that had more to do with desired adjustment height of threaded screw in conjunction with my steel base. From a weight standpoint its overkill. My mill weighs ~1350 lbs, plus steel base & table accessories etc. call it maybe 1500lbs? The 4" diameter say they are good for 1200 lbs alone. They seem to do a good job of vibration dampening & conforming to my slightly sloped floor, but I also don't have anything else to compare against. Some guys on forum have made some good feet from other materials including hockey pucks.

Attachments

• SNAG-9-30-2018 0000.jpg
    SNAG-9-30-2018 0000.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7641_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7641_edited-1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 8

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
I’m looking at the Martin and thinking I should just turn them and cut up some of the conveyor belting that’s laying outside. Lol

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
I think I’ll add the rubber though,at least for the compressor. I like the wheel addition for the compressor otherwise it is a tough move if needed. 650ABC80-0806-4741-A2F1-110C45ADFEE8.jpeg

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yes I cut out the hollow in the pucks on the lathe, it works very well. The metal inserts are .375" thick slices of a chunk of 2" hot rolled bar I had in my scrap bin. Center dimples are made in the lathe with a 5/8" drill bit and the corresponding screws were machined with a matching angle on the lathe also.

Sailor

Randy
Premium Member
Thanks everyone for all the good ideas. Phoning my son who still plays hockey. Dad needs pucks. Not sure which way I’ll do it but appreciate all the help.