• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

LED Lens fabrication

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I was asked this question by a client.

"On another subject, by any chance you know a good optical designer of LED lenses?
Most of them are in China and I visited some really amazing factories there specialized in this but I can not share sensitive information with them."

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

"On another subject, by any chance you know a good optical designer of LED lenses?
Most of them are in China and I visited some really amazing factories there specialized in this but I can not share sensitive information with them."

Most LED lenses I've seen are simple injection moulded designs of no great complexity...

But I concur about not being able to share even the smallest bit of intellectual property or sensitive info with any firm from mainland china.

Obviously the client knows how its done and likely that he has an NDA with the shops he's visited, why worry about the NDA China doesn't.

Truth be told go to a couple of Universities, find the right one and hire an intern.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I know three:

Someone good. You could try Ellis Betensky. He might be retired now?
Definitely won't be cheap. Ellis helped fix Hubble, and designed some trick lens for Sony, and a lot of other stuff.

More affordable if they are still around, MPM company ask for Eva, they were on the Queensway near 427 in Toronto.

Third is my neighbour but he is retired.

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I know three:

Someone good. You could try Ellis Betensky. He might be retired now?
Definitely won't be cheap. Ellis helped fix Hubble, and designed some trick lens for Sony, and a lot of other stuff.

More affordable if they are still around, MPM company ask for Eva, they were on the Queensway near 427 in Toronto.

Third is my neighbour but he is retired.
Thanks. I've passed on Ellis's LinkedIn info. Don't get any decent hits on MPM company.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Thanks. I've passed on Ellis's LinkedIn info. Don't get any decent hits on MPM company.
Ellis is a sharp cookie. IP is definitely safe with him.

Oops on MPM, it's actually MPS (was going from memory and it was several years ago). They do luminaire type stuff, I recall LED lenses, Michael Stan is the engineer you want to chat with. https://mpscompanyinc.ca/

DBM Reflex in Montreal would be worth contacting....... https://www.dbmreflex.com/

Last edited: