• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

LeBlond Cutter/Grinder On Kijiji, Port Colbourne ON

When I sold my shaper it was shipped to Regina via uship.com, ended up with Manitoulin Transport. $125 dock to dock. I was very surprised at how affordable is was.

I would offer to store it for you as well (just up the road from Port C.) but there are already 2 machines slated for storage in the garage for another member

Gerrit

Maybe a topic for another thread in another sub-forum, but can anyone give a few sentences on what exactly the machine does? I mean its obvious its a 'tool cutter/grinder' but specifically what advantages it might have over, say, hand grinding HSS tool steel on a grinding wheel, etc. Thanks!

Here’s the picture and description.
1603463823364.webp
Vintage Leblond #1 tool and cutter grinder. Some tooling and grinding wheels. $150.00

The primary advantage over handgrinding is precision. These machines will grind almost any cutter imaginable. I had a Cincinnati Universal at one time (circa 1910's), a sample of work it could do attached. The LeBlond is at least as capable.
Manual for this machine seems hard to find, but the K O Lee and Cincinnati No 2 is very similar. Note that this would originally have been overhead driven, it has been converted to direct drive, but now is lacking the LH wheel. This is a link to ad for one: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2102/20148.pdf

If you buy this machine take the time to scrounge that shop for all the fixtures and attachments possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-23 105911.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-23 105911.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 7
I missed similar tooling over a year ago at an auction...... REGRET! these don't appear that often around here. I'm working two alternative routes -- building the Harold Hall grinding rest (or buying a Quorn casting kit), and looking seriously at the import Deckel clones. @Dabbler , my links to this are also not working.... probably gone........

Too good to be true - they go on auction with tooling for one more zero i.e. 1500.

The accessories alone are worth 100s on eBay.

I got my T&CG on auction without almost any accessories for around $700 over a year ago. With tooling such as motorized work head I lost twice at over $1500.

@calgaryguy , I am currently restoring an old Cincinnati No2 Tool cutter grinder: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/cincinnati-no-2-cutter-grinder-restoration.2181/

These machines are very heavy and solid to avoid vibration etc and will precision sharpen most tools if you have the right jig or can make up one. built to last for many years!

I need to make a few milling fixtures and then cut a few gears and I am hoping to get the machine I own running very soon :)

Good info thanks! and thanks @gerritv for the info too!

As soon as I learned of it I tried to log in to kijiji and buy it. kijiji was experiencing some kind of outage, and by the time I could view the listing, it was gone. sigh.

One day I'll find a universal type cutter grinder, but until then I have a machine to rebuild, well, acutally 5 machines that I'm rebuilding...

They do come up regularly in Alberta - in Edmonton area. However, as I mentioned, not at such a low price point and with accessories. Usually in AB 99.9% of items on Facebook Marketplace and Kijiji are very over priced - it is rare but does happen you get a deal.

Back