• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Product Leaking Parts Washer

Product

architect

Super User
I have one of those small King brand bench top parts washer that started to leak as shown in video. I've used it for no more than an hour run time which is disappointing. Using Princess Auto Petroleum Based Low-Odour Solvent with it. Repairable or junk? It doesn't appear to be the pump just a leak from maybe bending the snake hose "too much".

Video

Brent H

Ultra Member
We are sailing across superior now so I cannot load the video - if it is "leaking" at the base of the hose - this may be intentional to avoid the pump spraying out at you like crazy. Mine at home I can tighten or loosen the connection to reduce the pressure at the nozzle and keep the fluid rinsing the part but not blowing it away. The "leak" is basically reducing the volume of output to avoid high pressure spray.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
I have a small Torin parts cleaner from Canadian Tire. Never did like the steel bendy thing, so I took mine off, ran rubber hosing from pump up to a Tee which is attached to the lid by a magnet, then, from this tee had a separate plastic bendy thing and another rubber hose which fed solvent directly into a brush. We had this type of set up on the cleaners at work, so I mirrored it at home. First photo shows the Tee on the lid with plastic bendy thing. The 2nd rubber hose feeds the brush which is sitting in the tank. Second photo shows the plastic hose connected to the pump. I used a brass coupling to transition between pump and hose parts washer.jpg
DSCN6170.jpg

First your flex pipe has a soft interior thats been damaged or poorly manufactured. Fix it and you be good for life.

Second get a flex hose kit out of plastic, yes the fail too but are extremely easy to repair, get the pliers for them to connect and disconnect them.

Finally there are significant quality differences in terms of plastic, cheap Amazon or the like may be good or not, expensive ones from KBC seem to be good (I have experience both).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @architect , mine does the same thing. @Brent H is prolly right about it being by design. I've lived with it for 10 years now. What's a little leak at the fitting compared to a nozzle blasting solvent all over the place? My pump stopped working this past winter. The leak is gone and so is the nozzle spray......... LMAO!

To be honest, I mostly use the thing with a saucer and brush inside the cabinet now. Someday I'll replace the pump if I can find one and when I do, I won't worry about the leak any more than I did for the last 10 years.

I'm in no rush though. The saucer and brush works just fine.

architect

Super User
Thanks all. I'm asking now because the leak is a violet spray that's actually shooting out of the parts washer. If it was a bit of a dribble leak then I would just ignore it too. I've yanked the metal nossle so that it "closes" the leak area more to be more a dribble than a spray for now. Sucks that this has failed so quickly.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Can you "undo" the flex end and see about repairing the internal hose connection? If not, I probably have an extra bendy "thing a ma bob" for you after I swap out the one that is on the parts washer I have with a different brush/bendy attachment. :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks all. I'm asking now because the leak is a violet spray that's actually shooting out of the parts washer. If it was a bit of a dribble leak then I would just ignore it too. I've yanked the metal nossle so that it "closes" the leak area more to be more a dribble than a spray for now. Sucks that this has failed so quickly.

OK, so did you try wrapping it with some shop cloth and put a hose clamp on it. All ya really gotta do is stop the spraying. That should work. If not, make a shield above it and clamp that down so it deflects and spray down not up and out.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I believe the PA pumps are rated for water based solvents. My pw pump quit after 15 years of use. I bought a petroleum solvent rated pump through our local Wolseley dealer, Little Giant brand. It was pricey.

Ya, I don't use water based solvent. I use varsol.

Wolseley dealer eh, what does pricey mean......

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch : millions - hahaha

typical pumps are in the $150 to 200 plus range. Sorta defeats the purpose of not just buying a new unit (on sale) and tearing out the pump.

I just welded in a bunch of support into my washing tank so engine parts would not fold in the middle and my son snagged a liquid brush system - have to see if he got the pump? I think he said it was NFG but will check......always good to have Dr. Frankenstein on your side! Herr Blucker! Neh Neh Neh...Horse sounds ...Young Frankenstein with Gene Wilder.......LOL

architect

Super User
Yeah I don't think my issue is the pump itself, just the connection outside the pump between the shaft and the bendable nozzle. I know it says water based only, but my neighbor has the same unit but larger size using the same PA stuff and his has worked for awhile.

I'll tear it down later to see but I'll continue to use it as is for now as I got it to dribble. I get distracted easily enough with side projects and I have like dozens unfinished things lol

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@architect If it gets worse again, you might try 6:1 heat shrink tubing with glue on the inside. (there's two kinds, the 2:1 and the 6:1)

It holds a surprisingly large pressure back and is very inexpensive. The area where it is applied will become fairly rigid, and a small price to pay. I get mine at MRO electronics, but Active and B&E have it also.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch : millions - hahaha

typical pumps are in the $150 to 200 plus range. Sorta defeats the purpose of not just buying a new unit (on sale) and tearing out the pump.

I just welded in a bunch of support into my washing tank so engine parts would not fold in the middle and my son snagged a liquid brush system - have to see if he got the pump? I think he said it was NFG but will check......always good to have Dr. Frankenstein on your side! Herr Blucker! Neh Neh Neh...Horse sounds ...Young Frankenstein with Gene Wilder.......LOL

I don't think I paid over 100 for my whole parts washer......

I don't think I need a pump that badly.