• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

lathes and mill in Saskatoon

Rotaxxx

Well the big deal is, bidding on something then going to pay for it and then be surprised with hidden fees...Yes they tell you up front the buyers premium but don't mention much about the other "fees" that they tack on after the sale. I didn't say don't bid on anything, just be prepared to pay more then what you bid (sometimes you don't know till you go pay). I am just trying to save a surprise for anyone bidding, and let them know what their getting into is all, and I don't believe in supporting businesses that operate in that manner. If your ok with it, go ahead and bid......

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
They charge you a certain % when you pay with a credit card, and a different % when paying with debit. They are also known to randomly pull auctions for no reason, or get their employees to bid on lots that are selling too "cheap" to be the high bidder. Then re-list the items a month or two later, hoping no one realizes. I would not give them any of my hard earned $$$. Just a heads up.

Amen Rotaxxx, I agree fully on the shenanigans played w/auctions -- but at the same time I am 100% down with getting a deal at an auction, although sometimes it could have been a 'great' deal if some schmuck hadn't of sport bid/shill-bid me at the 11th hour (and hey -- I fully admit to sport bidding from time to time).

There is a water pump I've bid on 10 times at another online auction. Every sale it gets 'sold' and then magically reappears because the 'hidden-reserve' was not met.

There are a lot of parallels to online poker. We all know how it should go down when you're sitting A-K or pocket-aces, but all it takes is someone who doesn't give a sh_t to stay in with a 7-2 and take you down on the river. It always makes me laugh to hear someone yell across the table and say "you never should have stayed in the hand -- I had the better hand!"

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I was going to sign up.... too much personal info needed: DL#, Birthdate, credit card..... no thanks.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
The user named his account "bidding closed" - bad people ;) Confusing.
I've got a call into the sales office in Saskatoon about that user name.
At best it is clever. Mostly I think it's not much different than pulling the coil wire at a vehicle sale to keep the bids low.
Totally dishonest.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I've got a call into the sales office in Saskatoon about that user name.
At best it is clever. Mostly I think it's not much different than pulling the coil wire at a vehicle sale to keep the bids low.
Totally dishonest.

Well, that was fast.
Dan from Saskatoon called and said he would see what he could do about the bidder's name causing confusion.
He didn't sound overly concerned, honestly. "just tell everybody to keep bidding"
"It clearly states the auction ends April 27"
I tried.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Still very low bids, Maho $175, Colchester 1800 $700, Colchester 2000 $775. I have bought a lot of stuff from Macdougall auction over the years, just have to adjust your max bid accordingly. Ritchie Bros. charges a buyers fee as well as do most auction outfits, some limit the max fee. I don't like the fees but just bid what i feel is best and move on.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Auction is over tomorrow, the 1800--$4000, 2000--$2505, the Maho --$1520. May have to put in a bid or 2 on the Maho.

Everett

Super User
I'll be honest, I'm trying for the Triumph 2000. Hoping it doesn't blow right out of my budget and financial figuring.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The 2000 machine is a decent price, i would look at it myself but already have a similar sized machine.

Everett

Super User
Yeah, I tapped out long before the hammer fall. Out of realistic price range for us right now but would have been just what I've been looking for.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
wow -I was really lusting over that Maho. But 5445$ is a bit much considering its capabilities. I figured it would go for 3800$-4000$

Chipper5783

I paid $3700 +GST (no fees) for my MH 600 - about 8 years ago. It had a different mix of attachments (more than the MH 700 had). The MH 700 is probably a more useful size. With fees & tax - what does $5445 finish out at?

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
If I recall correctly the max fees were $750 ( I could be wrong) and if both taxes (and if the taxes are on the fees) the total would be $6,876.45.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
No mill has sold for less than $5000 at an auction in SK for a long time. That is a pretty stout cost for a 40 year old mill. I quit bidding long before it got anywhere near that. Good thing it didn't go for what I was bidding. I still have to get my shaper running first.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Same for myself, was going to bid on the Maho but don't need it at those prices. Still looking for a smaller lathe for the basement shop and that 1800 colchester wasn't going down the steps.