• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

lathes and a mill drill at auction

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Lathes look good, mill/drill looks pretty tired. Looks could net someone a good deal.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
And 44 dirtbikes, and old wrenches, and some signage. And lots and lots of bed frames. I wish this were a live auction -- I'd bring two trailers

historicalarms

Ultra Member
man there is some good stuff at that auction

That lathe-mill combo unit ain't one of them....run like Forrest Gump from that one. That is the exact same machine i bought as my introduction to metal machining. More flex than a bowl of spaghetti...so much so that i don't think it would even machine aluminum without flexing....wood....maybe. Sold by House Of Tools

The mill-drill is a thin column machine compared to a #30, I think they were sold as a model #25 , also sold by House Of Tools.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
That lathe-mill combo unit ain't one of them....run like Forrest Gump from that one. That is the exact same machine i bought as my introduction to metal machining. More flex than a bowl of spaghetti...so much so that i don't think it would even machine aluminum without flexing....wood....maybe. Sold by House Of Tools

The mill-drill is a thin column machine compared to a #30, I think they were sold as a model #25 , also sold by House Of Tools.

i was more referring to the non machine shop type stuff, dirt bikes, winches, anvils, etc

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
And bed frames ..... lots and lots of bed frames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Makes me wonder how they make lots up. It's kind of like they put one interesting item in with a bunch of junk so that you have to haul their trash away in order to get the one thing you wanted:rolleyes:

That's a lot of stuff LOL.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
And bed frames ..... lots and lots of bed frames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old bed frames are a good source for harder steel than ordinary cold or hot rolled angle iron, at least the ones i have used on some projects are, you instantly find this out if drilling holes in them. Dont know what the metal designation would be but they are tempered steel.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Before moving to an acreage, we lived in a little town that had a 'parade of garage sales' every May -- basically, everyone would have their garage sale on the same day. a great even if you like to pick through junk, but a bad day if you don't like traffic and crowds. You couldn't sit outside or work in the garage with the door up because people kept coming in assuming you were selling stuff.

I put up a sign one year and said I would take bedframes and propane tanks....... That was 15 years ago and I still have a couple left of each :p I must have received 40 tanks, most 1/2 to 3/4 full, just the old style...... I ran my propane forge/kiln for years on that. And the bed frames I've been hacking up for 'racking' support for 10 years.

What makes me smile about this auction is that there are probably 20 frames on the property..... think about your own house, how often have you changed out your frame? It's like a bread-crumb to a hoarder auction! Field of dreams!

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
That Myford must be made of gold. Currently @ 1950 with 2 hours left. The 'pinko' is holding @ 1500

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
And done....

Pinko $2500
Myford $2500
Lathe/Mill Multi-Purpose machine $500
Jet 16 Mill/Drill $850

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Why MyFords go for so much? They are just glorified mini lathe.

I bid up to 825 on mill/drill. My limit with fees was 1000.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Brand Obscurity. Hey, I'll admit it, I'll probably own one before I die (hopefully). Kind of like motorcycles, why buy a Triumph, Ducati, Moto-Guzzi, Indian, Buell etc. instead of a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki.....

Or why by a Jeep Gladiator @ 60K+

I bid on a number of items today. Close rate (3/minute) was too low, I like LOTS of stuff closing quickly as it limits what I will call 'fake bidding'. Some deals to be had, not many.

The item I was looking at was the mis-labelled "Makita Mag drill". It was a Milwaukee drill, filthy as sh_t with a damaged cord. It went for 410 I believe. These aren't cheap new. Not sure the drill was any good, but the base was out of range @ 400. I'd buy a chinese knock-off new for 700 instead.