• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool lathe tool holder epiphany.

Tool

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
I made several tool holders for my lathe about 12 years ago, four tangentials and three standard type holders with various rakes. They work well but need shims to adjust the height and won't take HSS blanks that are too long. So today I made a couple of new holders.

The new tool holders are about as simple as you can get, just a short length of 16mm square black bar finished and with a slot cut the full length of the holder. No need to clamp the bit in place on the holder as the tool post does that.

Simple to use just stick the holder in the tool post, insert the bit, adjust how much stick out you want and tighten the tool post bolts. The tool post bolts locate in the middle of the holder, thus the tool post bolts also lock the tool bit in place.

I've made them so the bit is dead centre, so no more shims to adjust the height.

I made two: One for 6mm bits the other for 1/4" bits. Later I'll probably make one for 8mm bits.

It doesn't get any simpler than this and they work well.

Attachments

• WIN_20240613_16_23_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240613_16_23_36_Pro.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 18
  • WIN_20240613_16_23_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240613_16_23_23_Pro.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 18
Back