Lathe motor mounts

DonD.

Hi: I have a Jet lathe that I bought, probably 25 years ago. I have been doing a really good, long needed, cleanup and servicing on it and noticed the motor was sitting slightly askew. I was surprised to find that both mounts that hold the motor mounting plate were broken. I have no idea when or how it happened as I have been using it with no problem for years. The motor was just sitting in place held by everything around it.
Before I try to brazeo or make new ones, I thought if anyone knew where I might buy these parts. The only numbers I can find to identify this lathe can be seen if you expand the nameplate on the front of the lathe….bottom right hand corner.
3 pictures….
IMG_0199.jpeg IMG_0195.jpeg IMG_0197.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It highly unlikely that you will find parts unless you are able to cross match to a current in production version of that same machine.
Seems like some simple parts to make though. What machines do you have?

If you can weld, weld up a few.

If you can a couple of blocks of Al and cut out a few.

This is not a high load area likely happened during a belt change or move.

DonD.

It highly unlikely that you will find parts unless you are able to cross match to a current in production version of that same machine.
Seems like some simple parts to make though. What machines do you have?
Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. I’m pretty sure it’s an Enco lathe but probably Chinese and made under a few different names. Every time I clean it, more of the printing comes off the nameplate.
There is 1999 12 stamped on the nameplate, so I suspect that’s the year and month it was made….means I bought it when I was 59.…yikes!
I’m sure I can make a couple but thought I would try the easy way first.
i found the parts list in my pile of manuals, so I will see if I can
get any further information.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. I’m pretty sure it’s an Enco lathe but probably Chinese and made under a few different names. Every time I clean it, more of the printing comes off the nameplate.
There is 1999 12 stamped on the nameplate, so I suspect that’s the year and month it was made….means I bought it when I was 59.…yikes!
I’m sure I can make a couple but thought I would try the easy way first.
i found the parts list in my pile of manuals, so I will see if I can
get any further information.
I have a lathe of similar vintage and origin and had to remake the countershaft bracket because there are zero parts available.

DonD.

Making new ones in steel would be my first thought.
I have nothing to lose by
If you can weld, weld up a few.

If you can a couple of blocks of Al and cut out a few.

This is not a high load area likely happened during a belt change or move.
I have nothing to lose by trying to braze one up. I have done similar things before. If that doesn’t work, I will have to make a couple.
I kind of suspect it happened before or when it was delivered because it’s in a place where nothing could hit it that hard.
It’s just amazing that it was running just fine like that.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have nothing to lose by

I have nothing to lose by trying to braze one up. I have done similar things before. If that doesn’t work, I will have to make a couple.
I kind of suspect it happened before or when it was delivered because it’s in a place where nothing could hit it that hard.
It’s just amazing that it was running just fine like that.
I'm surprised there wasn't a big clunk when you fired it up.

DonD.

I'm surprised there wasn't a big clunk when you fired it up.
There never was any indication they were broken…no clunk, slipping belt or anything else. The only reason I realized they were broke is because the drive end was slightly higher than the other. It’s jammed in there pretty tight with the wires and belt tensioning system.

Last edited by a moderator:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The only other thing I can think of would be to drill thru both pieces length wise between the bolt hole and the outside edge then tap one side and clearance hole the other to bolt the two together. It looks like you might get a 1/4" or 3/16" bolt on either side of the mounting holes.

Out curiosity what size are the mounting holes?

DonD.

The only other thing I can think of would be to drill thru both pieces length wise between the bolt hole and the outside edge then tap one side and clearance hole the other to bolt the two together. It looks like you might get a 1/4" or 3/16" bolt on either side of the mounting holes.

Out curiosity what size are the mounting holes?

They appear to be about 5/16” but are probably metric.
of course they broke right across one of the bolt holes, where there isn’t much material.

DonD.

That would make the bracket about an inch wide and 1/2 inch thick, that would be tight for what I was suggesting.

Braze or build, it's all practice. ;)
In fact they are exactly 1” wide and 1/2” thick….good eye!
I’m about 60 miles from the nearest place to get brazing rod and don’t want to make a special trip.
I’ll let you know how I make out.
I’m not sure, at my age(81) practice is going to help, anymore.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If its a typical cast iron fracture, the pieces should got back together pretty cleanly. Clamp em up, vee out the cracks and fire up the torch. Easy brazing job. I've even mig welded similar parts with regular er70s wire when brazing rod wasn't handy. Pre and post heat will matter more with mig. Pre heat with a torch or BBQ, cool down in the woodstove if you have one, or even a bucket of sand.