• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Lathe dilemma

GlenB

Ok here is my dilemma I am new to hobby I have a atlas 10f lathe bought it very cheap but doesn't have a quick change gear box or any of the gears for threading also need a tool post . Now I have a opertunity to buy a husky with all they above for 500 it needs a good cleaning and I do think that there maybe a couple broken gears that the owner new when he bought it but said it don't bother him me it would they would need to be replaced so I guess I'm asking for opinions and comments and yes have thought of both but no room. Plus husky would have to be taken apart and reassembled in my basement any thoughts

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'd buy it! You can make one complete lathe out of the 2 and sell the extra. It will give someone else a starter!

GlenB

The husky which I've learned is a busy bee model from the 70s is complete and I would have to sell the atlas and because I'm so new haven't Evan made serious chips off it but that's the way I'm leaning

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There is a bit too little info for me to make a call. As I understand you cannot thread with the current lathe and cannot do any power feed. Also you don't have a tool post. You don't mention anything else about the lathe.

Huskey is a lathe from the 70s that is in unknown condition other than having some broken gears - which gears - gears in the gear box? Change gears? What do you mean by a "broken gear" - teeth are missing?

Do you like working on machines or working with the machines?

GlenB

Sorry no pictures but the atlas lathe is missing the travel gear but. I have located one it's also missing all the threading gears or no quick change gear box also need a tool post not even a lantern style the husky has everything but went and looked today the bull gear has damage about five teeth it seems someone tried to put it into back gear while running but that's all that's wrong with it very dirty but that's elbow grease

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The bull gear is repairable, and you can run the lathe without it for many operations.
The atlas seems to be a more advanced project than a starter lathe. A tool post can be acquired/improvised, but to get going, the Husky seems to be a better fit.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
What about the gear that meshes with the bull gear - as far as I can tell it is the big gear that is on the main spindle and at least in both of my lathes looks to be the strongest gear in the whole system.

If it is very dirty I would clean it up first a bit to see whatever there are no other issues with it - I already got burned once by ultra dirty lathe.

If all that is wrong with it then it seems like a good buy if it is in say 12x36 range or even a bit smaller - you can always get both lathes and then sell one away for $500 - the one you don't like.

GlenB

Thx for the replies and to update you all after a some what cleaning the bull gear is the only issue I can see with it and a long conversation with the owner I am adopting the lathe
( haven't told my wife yet) but decide to keep the two of them I have a soft spot for machine tools I'm thinking I should run a Ontario machine tools rescue . So with help from the forum I may need some atlas lathe parts and pieces