• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Lathe Compound Feed Nut

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now to start figuring out how to make a telescoping cross-feed screw and associated parts for my taper turning attachment.

Way to go. Looking forward to what you come up with. This (telescoping) topic got discussed a few times on the forum so maybe do a search. Maybe 3-4 years ago now? Anyways I recall someone posted some excerpts from parts manual that showed the components reasonably clearly.

To put another dangerous thought in your mind, you might be able to integrate a profile follower where you attach a 2D template of some shape & the carriage tracks it. The options would be endless. No more ball turners! The big boy lathes use hydraulics to apply follower feed pressure but I wonder if this could be dumbed down a bit? Keith Fenner recently posted a video showing the hydraulic follower in action to give you a sense.

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Way to go. Looking forward to what you come up with. This (telescoping) topic got discussed a few times on the forum so maybe do a search. Maybe 3-4 years ago now? Anyways I recall someone posted some excerpts from parts manual that showed the components reasonably clearly.

To put another dangerous thought in your mind, you might be able to integrate a profile follower where you attach a 2D template of some shape & the carriage tracks it. The options would be endless. No more ball turners! The big boy lathes use hydraulics to apply follower feed pressure but I wonder if this could be dumbed down a bit? Keith Fenner recently posted a video showing the hydraulic follweer in action to give you a sense.
Thanks Peter. @Brent H posted some links and I printed off some prints, but I'm not quite adept at comprehending 2-D drawings. I'm more of a touchy feely kind of guy.

And no...I do not have plans for making a copying mechanism.....but never say never!!

Danzo187

Premium Member
Lathe: Standard Modern Utilathe 1654

I decided that I want to address the slop that is in the compound feed mechanism. And, yes, I'm currently using a solid tool post setup, so what better time than now to fix the problem.

I have 0.020" backlash. Taking apart the compound, it looks like it has been worked on before. I think the original crossfeed nut was integral with the base of the compound. It looks like it was replaced with a fabricated unit from cold rolled steel, and attached by a screw from the bottom. The threads of the feed screw, 1/2"-10RH acme, are, I think, acceptable. I measured the threads in 4 different places with the 3-wire method, and the pitch diameters were consistent within 0.0015", of each other.

So I will only make a replacement nut from C95400 aluminum bronze. And I will use a tandem tap to do the threads.
I too had .025 compound backlash on my SM 13 inch 2000 series ,when I made a new brass feed nut I made the boss so it was .001 press fit maybe as much as .0015 pressed it in and backlash is now and has been for a few months .003 , I found that both compound and crossfeed nuts excessive play just gives a ton of backlash ,for my crossfeed nut I made it just like the original then ground a spacer for distance between the top of the nut and the bottm of the crossslide....again .003 backlash ,rigidity will do the trick