• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Lathe bed protector..

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
I made this bed protector a while back, waste of time really as I never remember to roll the thing out. But when I do it does work well.
The protetor sheet itself is heavy duty, oil impregnated green canvas. It's attached to a length 22mm round PVC pipe which rolls it up. I shrunk some larger PVC piping on the ends and fitted the ends with bearings, then made a carrier for it from angle iron which bolts to the headstock. There's a length of cord wrapped around the back end of the PVC pipe, which finds its way out the back of the stand via a couple of aluminium pulleys I turned up. Attached to the end of the cord is bit of 35mm steel which slide up and down inside a a length of PVC pipe fixed to the rear of the stand. The canvas is attached to the front of the carriage so when you wind the carriage back and forward the canvas rolls and unrolls around the PVC pipe, the weight of the 35mm steel keeping the canvas taught.

Attachments

• WIN_20230129_10_30_12_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230129_10_30_12_Pro.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 32
  • WIN_20230129_10_30_20_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230129_10_30_20_Pro.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 27
  • WIN_20230129_10_30_40_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230129_10_30_40_Pro.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 27
  • WIN_20230129_10_31_29_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230129_10_31_29_Pro.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 26
  • WIN_20230129_10_31_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230129_10_31_37_Pro.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 27
  • WIN_20230129_10_32_00_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230129_10_32_00_Pro.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 30

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ingenious - I like the weight keeping it taut. Any reason you don't just always have it attached to the carriage?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I made this bed protector a while back, waste of time really as I never remember to roll the thing out. But when I do it does work well.
The protetor sheet itself is heavy duty, oil impregnated green canvas. It's attached to a length 22mm round PVC pipe which rolls it up. I shrunk some larger PVC piping on the ends and fitted the ends with bearings, then made a carrier for it from angle iron which bolts to the headstock. There's a length of cord wrapped around the back end of the PVC pipe, which finds its way out the back of the stand via a couple of aluminium pulleys I turned up. Attached to the end of the cord is bit of 35mm steel which slide up and down inside a a length of PVC pipe fixed to the rear of the stand. The canvas is attached to the front of the carriage so when you wind the carriage back and forward the canvas rolls and unrolls around the PVC pipe, the weight of the 35mm steel keeping the canvas taught.
+ 1 on the ingenious

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
Ingenious - I like the weight keeping it taut. Any reason you don't just always have it attached to the carriage?
A very good reason, I'm just plain azy and forgetful! I'll take a pic of the bearing assembly, from memory, I think they are just a couple of slow speed bearings from a lawn mower.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Very cool.

How does it handle swarf that falls on top but then gets rolled up and potentially stuck to the clean bottom side of the canvas when it's against the dirty side?

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
Here's a pic of the bearing assembly. A plain bearing would do, I just used the lawn mower bearings because the filled up the large hole in the end of the PVC pipe.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
Very cool.

How does it handle swarf that falls on top but then gets rolled up and potentially stuck to the clean bottom side of the canvas when it's against the dirty side?
Never had a problem with that, but if the canvas was rolled underneath the roller, instead of over the top I think you would. Unfortunately, rolling the canvas over the top of the roller you lose a bit of work swing, but if it gets in the way, just roll it up. There are tiny little bits that get rolled up I suppose, but not enough to worry about. I generally just tap the canvas a few times and the swarf bounces off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I generally just tap the canvas a few times and the swarf bounces off.

Usually my swarf is so sharp it sticks to everything. I would expect it to stick to the clean side as it rolls up against the dirty side and some would then fall off as it rolls back out. Your oiled canvas must work really well in that regard.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
Usually my swarf is so sharp it sticks to everything. I would expect it to stick to the clean side as it rolls up against the dirty side and some would then fall off as it rolls back out. Your oiled canvas must work really well in that regard.
Yes it would, I tried a bit of plastic based stuff for the cover, but the warf tended to melt it's way in and get stuck, that was a dismal failure. The canva has worked particularly well, Probably not necesary to impregnate it with oil, I don't know as I've never tried it dry.

I have flex bellows on the milling machine, you do need to blow/brush off scarf. As to heat resistance to cuttings don't know as I flood cool and when I don't the cutting are on the cooler side to start.