Tool L S Starrett has been SOLD !

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The COMPANY ! This was just posted down on H-M . :(

To who? Geez I sure hope they don't go to hell now. I really like Starrett's customer relations and sales support. A new owner might only care about short term profit.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just seen this on GJ...get your Starrett tools now, old stuff will get even more expensive

I don't think so. It was sold not closed. My guess is that stuff will keep being available but the business will change its character, and quality and reputation might suffer. On the other hand, it's not ridiculous to think things might improve.

Jswain

Joe
I don't think so. It was sold not closed. My guess is that stuff will keep being available but the business will change its character, and quality and reputation might suffer. On the other hand, it's not ridiculous to think things might improve.
If I was a betting man, I would bet the quality will go down and the price will stay the same or increase = more shareholder $$'s.

Which will increase the value of the "good old Starrett"

Hopefully I'm wrong

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Actually looks legit, the buyer is building a portfolio of specialized manufacturing companies.

That would be good. There is a special place in hell for those who buy and dismantle companies no regard to the employees or the communities involved. If you want to part out a collector car, go hard. Many other people will benefit. If your sole purpose is to benefit from some one or some community's loss, F off.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Posted on H-M .
Oh , great ! :rolleyes: In a few years the Private Equity Firm will sell them off , most likely to Danaher for a huge profit and to be moved offshore . And we all know what happens to the quality after that . :(

EDIT Disclaimer . I have nothing against Danaher and their affiliates . I retired from Danaher . I own their stock . They know how to make profits . Not happy with what they did with all the quality tool companies over the years , but who am I ? :dunno:

Posted here !
My thoughts of the sale . PEFs don't make tools or Anything for that matter other than money . Check out their employee list . They'll sell this along with the other companies they're buying up to a huge conglomerate in a few years .

Jswain

Joe
Posted on H-M .
Oh , great ! :rolleyes: In a few years the Private Equity Firm will sell them off , most likely to Danaher for a huge profit and to be moved offshore . And we all know what happens to the quality after that . :(

EDIT Disclaimer . I have nothing against Danaher and their affiliates . I retired from Danaher . I own their stock . They know how to make profits . Not happy with what they did with all the quality tool companies over the years , but who am I ? :dunno:

Posted here !
My thoughts of the sale . PEFs don't make tools or Anything for that matter other than money . Check out their employee list . They'll sell this along with the other companies they're buying up to a huge conglomerate in a few years .
Good news is in a few years we will be able to get Starrett at home Depot :rolleyes::p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Traded a table saw for it somehow......:rolleyes:

My question is, how does he find out about all these deals before the rest of his "Friends"?

They say google is Lisnin. I think David is the one lisnin to google!

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The writing was on the wall.

1. Almost everything Starrett made sold for almost double what Mitutoyo sold.

2. Half of Starrett's products are made in China now.

3. The quality of made in China is getting better with every passing year