• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Knurled welding roller

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi gang
My mig welder has an option for knurled rolllers - the dealer wants $20 each and I need two plus shipping. $60 all in. This is for running flux core wire. A lot of money for such a simple part-except I don’t know how to make the tooth pattern. Any thoughts?
Thanks John

Attachments

• 266537E6-225C-4637-A84D-E700B3DB1ACF.png
    266537E6-225C-4637-A84D-E700B3DB1ACF.png
    398.6 KB · Views: 9

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its a good thought except (without really knowing the scale) I'm guessing that might work out to a pretty small tap? Maybe hold a bolt or tap up to the existing part to gauge it. If it works out to say 4-40 or 6-32 might be getting on the small side & harder to support the other end of tap like the video. Also might have to figure out appropriate groove depth/circumference so the teeth meet once the wheel returns to beginning position. The video is a gear hobbing principle (or whatever they call it).

I'm guessing the notch is somewhat critical to feed specific wire diameter, or is it just providing positive gription?

I'm wondering if you machined a Vee & then entered a knurling wheel in from either edge at 45-deg? But most wheels I've seen have beveled edges vs sharp. Hmm... that's a tricky one. I'm guessing they have a skinny knurling like form tool they feed into the groove.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I'm thinking along the lines of the hobbing with a tap idea but instead of hobbing the machined space you could hob a shaped piece that would be used as a knurling tool.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
On one of the hobby sites someone used the wheel out of a bic lighter to make a mini knuckling tool. I don’t recall how successful it was.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you think if you made a roller with a simple rectangular groove & glued in some O-rings they would have enough traction to grip the wire in its natural center section? Is there a roller on the opposite side of the MIG wire? Not sure about exact dimensions but hopefully sketch helps visualize.

Another idea (PITA but here goes)
- turn the wheel blank
- knurl the OD, maybe consider a fine DPI straight vs. diamond pattern
- turn down either side of knurl, say 0.080"depth leaving band width of knurl
- Loktite 2 rings on either side of say 0.100" thickness which raises the OD again. This leaves a knurl pattern in the middle at a recess depth. Its a flat bottom vs. a V groove though

Bangood is looking pretty good LOL

Attachments

• SNAG-6-15-2018 0000.jpg
    SNAG-6-15-2018 0000.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2018-06-15_19-05-47.jpg
    2018-06-15_19-05-47.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 5

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Net hobbing video - I think feed rollers need to be hardened, however... I hope the hobbing can be done in a hardening steel...

John Conroy

Premium Member
I think the knurl would need to be a specific depth and sharpness to avoid flakeing the flux off the outside of the welding wire?