• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Knife makers ?

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Any knife makers here ?
I had a little Buck folding pocket knife that was kind of a cheap POC but I liked the shape and feel of it.
It finally fell apart in my pocket, looking to replace it with something nice (that'll hold an edge and not fall apart)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No, but I'm curious. If I ever get a belt grinder/sander I think I'd like to dabble. I've watched enough YouTube videos to convince me there is a lot of artistic freedom. Maybe in your case retrofitting to existing knife assembly means holding certain dimensions & shape but nothing outside the realm of basic machinist skills. Most guys don't use jigs, either by choice, or just not practical. Its more of a visual thing & occasional caliper check that I can gather.

This local fellow hardened the cam plates for my radial engine. Put it in an envelope & it arrives in your mailbox, couldn't be happier. All the heat treat equipment is a rather steep investment & process learning curve so (for me at least) might be a good way to make blades & get results without going into the deep end of the pool on the HT. He offers specific materials too so could probably advise you on that front.
https://www.knifemaker.ca/Heat-Treat-Service/

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Well, my first thought was to just buy one. I've seen several nice knives / knife makers at Gun shows. Just easier, they've already got it figured out (I assume) and I've got other interests / projects at the moment.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
[mention]Crosche [/mention] is into knife making I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Crosche is, I believe...

@cuslog not considering a repair?

Well, although I do like the "shape and feel" of the said knife, its a "consumer grade" (AKA cheap). I don't know what the steel is in the blade but its relatively soft and doesn't hold an edge very well. I've repaired it a couple of times already.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Wow, is there no end to forum threads on here that don't interest me, they never end!

I have never built a custom knife but owned and have used a few. Two that stand out were built by my old man and a buddy of his in the mid 60's. One was built from an industrial power hacksaw blade, the other from a planer mill blade. The power hacksaw blade being the thinner of the two was the filleting/steak slicer knife, the much heavier plainer blade was the "butchering" knife. My old man, being a sharp edge fanatic whenever a knife was involved, never failed a warning when someone picked up one of his knives at a community butchering day "be god damn careful with that thing , it's not fussy what it cuts". When an animal hit the ground there was no need for a saw when that big knife was there, I have opened beef & moose briskets & H-bones with one easy pull.
I think the point here that might interest everybody is the fact they didn't have a forge as we know them for the "build"...just an ordinary acet. torch and a pail of cement powder to turn the steel from intensely hard to a softer state for the shaping work and back to hard (with five gallon pail cold water instead of the cement) and then to draw it down just a bit. After the softening stage just an ordinary bench grinder then an angle grinder did the shaping with a little elbow grease and a file to finish. first sharpening after drawing down was done with a soft wheel on the same angle grinder followed by numerous stretches' of labor with a emory cloth block to finish.
My old man is long gone but those knives still stick to the magnetic holder beside my mothers counter top...I sharpen them once a year for her....proof that a "Forged In Fire" (love that show) shop set-up would be nice to have but not needed if you have the bare essentials...good steel and a heat source.