• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Knee Mill $1500 Ottawa

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just a few years ago you could still get those machines at harbor freight for $1750 USD. Now they are $2500 USD.

I looked into buying one new a few years ago and figured by the time I got the machine here it was double the price in Canadian dollars. I suspect it would be similar yet today.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I bought mine in 1998, I paid 5200$ for it (it had a X power feed(!!)). I sold it to another member at 3800$ even though it had very little wear. Mine was manufactured in Taiwan, and weighed 2100lbs. It is possible the 1750 US$ ones are much flimsier, and made in a less expensive place?

The cheapest, new price, I have seen them in Canada has been 3100$

I would have kept mine, but for the fact that the spindle-to-column distance was 7" and not adjustable. I got much bigger machines, so when using a tap wrench, for instance, I didn't hit the column. It is also handy for doing bigger jobs than 14" wide....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When I bought mine in 1998, I paid 5200$ for it (it had a X power feed(!!)). I sold it to another member at 3800$ even though it had very little wear. Mine was manufactured in Taiwan, and weighed 2100lbs. It is possible the 1750 US$ ones are much flimsier, and made in a less expensive place?

The cheapest, new price, I have seen them in Canada has been 3100$

I would have kept mine, but for the fact that the spindle-to-column distance was 7" and not adjustable. I got much bigger machines, so when using a tap wrench, for instance, I didn't hit the column. It is also handy for doing bigger jobs than 14" wide....
Yes the red Harbor Freight mills are made in China and have a so-so reputation. I have a made in Taiwan Busy Bee version of this mill and at first glance they appear the same but mine has a few nicer finishes and touches. At the time I was looking at buying the HF version the low price was very persuading but in the end I'm glad I did not get the red one. However almost anything can be a good buy at the right price.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Yes the red Harbor Freight mills are made in China and have a so-so reputation. I have a made in Taiwan Busy Bee version of this mill and at first glance they appear the same but mine has a few nicer finishes and touches. At the time I was looking at buying the HF version the low price was very persuading but in the end I'm glad I did not get the red one. However almost anything can be a good buy at the right price.
That's interesting I have never seen a red one and was wondering what manufacture used red. I paid $2500 for a green BB made in Taiwan 8x30.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
FYI the first few years it was an 8X34, with 22" X travel, but then they cut it back to 8X30. I was lucky enough top get the 8X34 model.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
FYI the first few years it was an 8X34, with 22" X travel, but then they cut it back to 8X30. I was lucky enough top get the 8X34 model.
Yes there have been a few sizes and variations of this style of mill and they all look very, very similar. The red HF mills have been 6x26 mills, my BB CX602 is also a 6x26 mill, but often they are mistakenly compared to the newer CX603 which are 8x30 and look very similar. One of the biggest differences in the smaller mills versus the bigger ones is that the bigger 8x30 mills have a cast frame right to the floor, the smaller ones sit on a stand.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Even when BB was importing the next version, and 8X30, the weight dropped 500 or 600 pounds.

mickeyf

In the "Tramming the KCB mill question" thread I listed some of the many names this mill has been sold as. I found this useful when looking for "how we done it good up our way" stories since many people will know it only by the name or company they bought it
from. Searching under the other names can bring up otherwise unknown useful ideas.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In the "Tramming the KCB mill question" thread I listed some of the many names this mill has been sold as. I found this useful when looking for "how we done it good up our way" stories since many people will know it only by the name or company they bought it
from. Searching under the other names can bring up otherwise unknown useful ideas.

I wish someone knew even one name for my old mill drill 10 years ago. It only vaguely looks like an RF30. But I plan to sell it soon so it doesn't really matter any more.

mickeyf

It only vaguely looks like an RF30. But I plan to sell it soon so it doesn't really matter any more.

Well, it might matter to the person buying it if they have something to compare to, and can look up other peoples experiences with using it and adding bells and whistles. But perhaps "RF30 Style" is enough.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, it might matter to the person buying it if they have something to compare to, and can look up other peoples experiences with using it and adding bells and whistles. But perhaps "RF30 Style" is enough.

Well trouble is that RF30 is as close as I have found but still miles away. I'm not sure there are any bells and whistles that would fit it.

20210519_191939.jpg 20210519_192036.jpg