• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Product King canada pdm30

Product

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Dad uses smaller version 25 as his mill and has no issues - runs super smooth. You can barely hear it running.

I also own a P-30 that I am converting to CNC.

I think you should carefully look for the source of vibration. Make sure the belt, pulleys etc. are all OK. I had old belts in my lathe ... made in Canada... that at 1000 RPM made whacking noise. Like hammer was hitting the lathe. Replaced belts, no issues.

Your P-30 uses if I remember correctly a 5/8 belts - if you cannot get them at princess auto there is automation store in Calgary that stocked belts for my P-30.

I would run the machine without belts - any difference?

No need, imho, to go all the way to 3ph / VFD etc. if a cheap $35 fix will make you productive.

Also run machine at all speeds, all tensioning settings. See what it could be. Heck, feel the pulleys - see whatever one has... imbalanced casting. Pulley with... bad casting at say 1700 rpm could be ... vibrating.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Tom Kitta @Stx450 had the motor on the bench and it's the motor. No belts are going to change a fundamental mechanical problem.
@Stx450 id you ever write to the president and vice-president of King Canada as I suggested over on Hobby-Machinist?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good luck Stx450 with getting the P30 setup & running smoothly. Looking frw to seeing a pic of its first chips. I really enjoyed following all the comments above. I don't have a mill or any milling experience (that will change soon i hope). The P30 was on my hit list of top contenders. KBC has one on the showroom floor (Mississauga). Seeing it up close reinforced my concern that pulleys and belts that big are not what I want (but a VFD could help minimize that issue). KBC also just added a 20VS to their floor - no belts but I think I want a bit bigger machine. It was really helpful to see them side by side - quite a difference a couple of 100 pounds makes!

I learned a couple of things here today:
1st: I have a better understanding of a VFD and what it can do;
2nd: Precision Matthews is looking even better (or getting a used machine in good running condition is an option); and
3rd: (MOST IMPORTANTLY) I'm very impressed with how quick and willing this forum is to help other members sort out a problem. So very glad I joined!
Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good luck Stx450 with getting the P30 setup & running smoothly.

Quick note to you and others.

If you put an @ symbol in front of a users name, (like @Stx450 ) the system will give you a list of members that start with those letters to choose from and more importantly the system will send a notification to them that you mentioned them in your post. It's not an obvious feature, but it's awesome!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
yea - my bad.
Thanks for the tip
(typing not my strong point. Before i couldnt spel enginer, now i are one)

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Now that you have verified that it is indeed a faulty motor, I agree with David that you should contact King Canada again and give them the opportunity to do the right thing. In my opinion, this is a big deal. Not only did you pay for a proper functioning motor, you also paid for a warranty. If King fails to satisfy, please update here and this thread should serve as a cautionary guideline to anyone in the future who wishes to consider King Canada as a potential vendor.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
For context, we bought a standing desk for our home office from a BC office supply company. Not a cheap purchase, with taxes it was nearly $1,000. It took ages to get and when it finally arrived the installer discovered that half the parts were incorrect. Weeks went by I waited for a call back and got nothing despite several calls to their customer service desk.

I tracked down the owner of the company and emailed them. I got a call from her that night and the correct parts were here within two days.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For context, we bought a standing desk for our home office from a BC office supply company. Not a cheap purchase, with taxes it was nearly $1,000. It took ages to get and when it finally arrived the installer discovered that half the parts were incorrect. Weeks went by I waited for a call back and got nothing despite several calls to their customer service desk.

I tracked down the owner of the company and emailed them. I got a call from her that night and the correct parts were here within two days.

Such a shame to have to go to those lengths. I've done that with big outfits too. Even placed a phone call to the CEO of Bell Canada once. Didn't actually talk to him but his EA was a great listener and she had me looked after just 10 minutes later. I've often found that EA's are REALLY good at getting things done. I wouldn't hesitate to do that with King. But not till I've given it a good go through proper channels first.