• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

King 10x22 lathe, $750, Toronto

trlvn

Ultra Member
The ad says it includes 'some tooling' but I hope it comes with the full set of change gears. Also no indication of a 4-jaw chuck. There are some weird mounts on these Chinese lathes so fitting a new chuck can be more work than you'd think.

Still, that is a pretty capable machine for not much money.

Craig

gerritv

Gerrit
Ad says it comes with a 4-jaw, also has dro's installed so there is likely a full set of all the other items needed there, he just didn't list them.

Spindle is 1.75x8, back plates are available from various places in US. If you need the steadies they can be bought from Grizzly for not a lot of money (it is a G0602)
If there are no change gears then install an ELS, you won't reget that.

Personally if I were looking for a lathe in that size I would already be in the car on the way to pick this up with cash and then ask questions while there. Chances are the change gears etc are there.

I absolutely love mine from 2003.

Last edited:

Jswain

Joe
That one just screams "scam add" to me because of the price & all the extras included....would insist on F to F meeting before any cash changed hands.
Although I would never send money to hold an item, sometimes you just have to take a chance on people and get in the car quickly lol.

Some people damn near give shit away on Kijiji because they either don't know, don't care, or just want it gone.

Some people damn near give shit away on Kijiji because they either don't know, don't care, or just want it gone.
Agreed, I bought a 9" South Bend for $50.00 and my round column mill with er40 collets and chuck, mostly new, and 20 or so end mills for $175.00.
The deals are out there, but you do need to be prepared to drop what you are doing and go.....

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I jumped on this and sent a PM.
He said "someone is coming down to pick it up" :(
If it falls through he'll notify me.
Hope I get a shot at it....

Well, now we know it's not a scam.

Although I would never send money to hold an item, sometimes you just have to take a chance on people and get in the car quickly lol.

I agree, but if it sounds comfy, I'm often quite willing to pay in advance or to give a deposit. Maybe I'm more gullible than I think I am, but I haven't been burned yet. Lots of close calls though.

That's sooooo true. It's amazing to me sometimes. I've been known to give them a little extra just to ease my conscience a bit. It just depends on who is selling and why.

Then there are also those guys who think their junk is priceless..... NOT!

Pennywise

Yeah, I've rarely sent $ to hold an item. The last was $50 to show good faith on a $500 item.
I always tell myself that I stand a good chance of losing it, if so can I afford the loss?
The biggest risk I ever took was on a beautiful aircooled diesel engine, a Lister 7.5 VA.
At the time it was a 60 years old, the vendor was a Newfoundlander, lived in a small fishing village and those people did business over the telephone all the time.
He was used to shipping stuff all over the Eastern seaboard on the strength of a phone call and a "cheque's in the mail".
I think the total paid with the shipping all in was $1800. 800 pound engine.It arrived 2 weeks later and fired up on the first crank....

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah, I've rarely sent $ to hold an item. The last was $50 to show good faith on a $500 item.
I always tell myself that I stand a good chance of losing it, if so can I afford the loss?
The biggest risk I ever took was on a beautiful aircooled diesel engine, a Lister 7.5 VA.
At the time it was a 60 years old, the vendor was a Newfoundlander, lived in a small fishing village and those people did business over the telephone all the time.
He was used to shipping stuff all over the Eastern seaboard on the strength of a phone call and a "cheque's in the mail".
I think the total paid with the shipping all in was $1800. 800 pound engine.It arrived 2 weeks later and fired up on the first crank....

Wow, these things are worth so much money? They come on sale in AB regularly for under $200. Not sure its exactly same model but look is the same from the video.

And then there was the free shaper:p
..... well, okay, you got me there, but two round trips to Squamish and a full day getting out of the machine shop and through the warehouse section solo..... Three pipes and a bar for the win. Once I covered the 75 or so feet with a 2" drop as I transitioned from shop to warehouse, I was able to load on the trailer with a chainfall. That one is a 16" Butler........:cool:

Pennywise

Wow, these things are worth so much money? They come on sale in AB regularly for under $200. Not sure its exactly same model but look is the same from the video.
Really? $200? Running?That's amazing, you could clean up buying any that appear in Alberta for that price, there are a lot of yanks that would make it worth your while.
Under $200 sounds like scrap value, honestly.( at 800 Lb.)

Or a lot of Mennonites/Hutterites in Saskatchewan would gladly you pay good $ for a running engine.

Last edited: