• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Kijiji welder, better than nothing!

yycwelder

I'm still figuring everything out on this forum. So as I do I'll update my bio and such. Until then a little extra typing practice won't hurt. I'm a journeyman welder. Have been for long enough I have to look up when I got issued my card. Started mucking about with stick in the home garage when I was a young lad. I've had experience in a few different types of welding processes. Mig, Tig, Stick, Oxy-acetylene, Spray metalizing(very cool but fairly specalized), Air-Carbon Arc gouging, Plasma cutting, Oxy-acetylene cutting. I've worked on a variety of metals, mild steel, aluminium, stainless steel, cast iron, and have build up parts with stellite 6 and cobalt 21 for a machine shop. The current shop I work at I'm the working metal shop foreman and we primarily run miller mig machines on mild steel. My home garage/shop will be set up to run mig and I will have a plasma cutter as well. When the budget permits I will add a Tig machine to the lineup. A oxy-acetylene set up is in the near future as well with a meco mini torch for those tiny jobs. I have one forge that I built so far but have plans for two new ones that I am in the process of designing currently. My blacksmith teacher and mentor instilled in me the importance of sharing knowledge with those interested. I will continue that tradition in my own way. I have a solid base in blacksmithing knowledge but strive to learn and develop more in time. Just so I don't bore anyone further if you want to know more I'm willing to meet up in the evenings to chat about things as my schedule permits. If you can make it near the SE then I'm more likely able to make it out. Did I mention I have two young kids? If you read this far then thanks for taking the time.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I'm still figuring everything out on this forum. So as I do I'll update my bio and such. Until then a little extra typing practice won't hurt. I'm a journeyman welder. Have been for long enough I have to look up when I got issued my card. Started mucking about with stick in the home garage when I was a young lad. I've had experience in a few different types of welding processes. Mig, Tig, Stick, Oxy-acetylene, Spray metalizing(very cool but fairly specalized), Air-Carbon Arc gouging, Plasma cutting, Oxy-acetylene cutting. I've worked on a variety of metals, mild steel, aluminium, stainless steel, cast iron, and have build up parts with stellite 6 and cobalt 21 for a machine shop. The current shop I work at I'm the working metal shop foreman and we primarily run miller mig machines on mild steel. My home garage/shop will be set up to run mig and I will have a plasma cutter as well. When the budget permits I will add a Tig machine to the lineup. A oxy-acetylene set up is in the near future as well with a meco mini torch for those tiny jobs. I have one forge that I built so far but have plans for two new ones that I am in the process of designing currently. My blacksmith teacher and mentor instilled in me the importance of sharing knowledge with those interested. I will continue that tradition in my own way. I have a solid base in blacksmithing knowledge but strive to learn and develop more in time. Just so I don't bore anyone further if you want to know more I'm willing to meet up in the evenings to chat about things as my schedule permits. If you can make it near the SE then I'm more likely able to make it out. Did I mention I have two young kids? If you read this far then thanks for taking the time.
Are you against oxy/propane?

For some odd reason oxy/propane has a stigma in the welding world.

Just asking to hear your viewpoint.

Yes, if you’re brazing a lot, oxy/acetylene is the way to go, in my opinion

yycwelder

Are you against oxy/propane?

For some odd reason oxy/propane has a stigma in the welding world.

Just asking to hear your viewpoint.

Yes, if you’re brazing a lot, oxy/acetylene is the way to go, in my opinion
Not against anything really. I'd love to have a go at an oxy/propane set up but all the shops I've worked at always had acetylene. Know anyone?
The oxy torch and tips I have are for acetylene so that would be the main factor for me. I don't have the budget for setting up in propane currently. Maybe in the future? I definitely see some advantages to propane though. So if I were to do it over again I'd do more research and give both options a fair shot at convincing me, regardless of history and familiarity. The direction of my current shop would give propane a slight advantage as it would be one less cylinder/gas/fuel type to coordinate. I'm passionate about forging so propane would already be available but having to switch a tank over is a negative for me as I like efficiency and would prefer to have a dedicated setup. After all that rambling I guess it would depend on how it preforms for me and the numbers.
I believe one should always be open to new things and not hold fast to limiting beliefs. Keep moving forward, make mistakes, learn from them and get better.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Not against anything really. I'd love to have a go at an oxy/propane set up but all the shops I've worked at always had acetylene. Know anyone?
The oxy torch and tips I have are for acetylene so that would be the main factor for me. I don't have the budget for setting up in propane currently. Maybe in the future? I definitely see some advantages to propane though. So if I were to do it over again I'd do more research and give both options a fair shot at convincing me, regardless of history and familiarity. The direction of my current shop would give propane a slight advantage as it would be one less cylinder/gas/fuel type to coordinate. I'm passionate about forging so propane would already be available but having to switch a tank over is a negative for me as I like efficiency and would prefer to have a dedicated setup. After all that rambling I guess it would depend on how it preforms for me and the numbers.
I believe one should always be open to new things and not hold fast to limiting beliefs. Keep moving forward, make mistakes, learn from them and get better.
I primarily use torches for cutting or heating. I don’t even own a soldering tip, just a cutting torch. I’m not saying that to be condescending to anyone who does, I’m just stating my usage.

In Ontario the large oxy cylinders are called K cylinders. I’m not sure if that’s a universal size?

I can (roughly) use 10 k cylinders of oxygen to one 20 pound propane tank. A 20 pound propane tank is $20-30 to exchange.

A small acetylene bottle is in the $100-150 range to have filled.

I’ve been using oxy-propane for at least 8 years, and have known guys using it for 30+ years over careers

Again, they mostly used it for cutting and heating also.

It largely just comes down to cost for me. Being able to get propane on weekends is a bonus, too

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm in. MIG TIG Stick whatever all sounds good. Spray metalizing I'd love to see in person. That Abom guy on youtube has some interesting videos building up a worn shaft and then machining it to precise size. Are there other uses too?

yycwelder

I primarily use torches for cutting or heating. I don’t even own a soldering tip, just a cutting torch. I’m not saying that to be condescending to anyone who does, I’m just stating my usage.

In Ontario the large oxy cylinders are called K cylinders. I’m not sure if that’s a universal size?

I can (roughly) use 10 k cylinders of oxygen to one 20 pound propane tank. A 20 pound propane tank is $20-30 to exchange.

A small acetylene bottle is in the $100-150 range to have filled.

I’ve been using oxy-propane for at least 8 years, and have known guys using it for 30+ years over careers

Again, they mostly used it for cutting and heating also.

It largely just comes down to cost for me. Being able to get propane on weekends is a bonus, too

I did a little bit of reading as I'm interested in a propane/oxy set up eventually. The saving in propane as a fuel can be offset by the increased oxy usage. About 1:1 with oxy/acet and 4:1 with oxy/propane. So I guess there will be regular oxy cylinder exchanges with the propane setup. Also be aware that propane is heavier than air and acetylene is lighter. Safety protocols are different for each. I'll still eventually get a oxy/propane set up eventually as there are some specific situations that it would have an advantage. Figured I'd update and share.

yycwelder

If you go ahead with this, I could also benefit from some instruction.
Once I have the garage up and running I'll put up a post to sort out details and see what we can make happen.

I've been struggling through self-learning TIG welding, and it is SLOW...
I don't know when I'll have a tig machine added to the lineup but if you have any questions I'm more than happy to help if I can. Do you have your own machine?

I'm in. MIG TIG Stick whatever all sounds good. Spray metalizing I'd love to see in person. That Abom guy on youtube has some interesting videos building up a worn shaft and then machining it to precise size. Are there other uses too?
Spray metalizing is pretty specialized but if you know anyone with the equipment then I'd be happy to see if I can make it go. When I was using it the application was for building up precision ground rollers with a carbide/texture for grip and wear resistance.

I’d be interested too learning more about tig!
That's how it starts and then before you know it you're addicted.