Tool Keyed or keyless tailstock chuck?

Tool

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I realized today that I don't have a tailstock chuck for the new lathe.
Question for the group: do I get a keyed or keyless chuck?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Keyed or Keyless?

The answer is yes.

Ailing power drills usually cost about $10 at thrift stores. For my B2227L lathe with MT2 tailstock, a 3/8”-24 x MT2 arbor runs about $15.

Attachments

• 4E172453-8E88-4147-808E-7A611530528D_converted.jpeg
    4E172453-8E88-4147-808E-7A611530528D_converted.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 7

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
3 of each or more. Need small, medium, and large. Have nice keyless Southbend and GS - still looking for Albrechts.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If only one, keyed. Tapping is a frequent lathe op and I've had them come loose when being reversed (happened on the mill, but same principle applies)

This is why I chose to use a collet instead. Never had it happen but leary of the event and very aware of the possibility. Finally found a nice 3/4" keyed chuck for tapping. Just waiting on an arbour for it.

jgimp69

I’ve never used a keyless chuck on a lathe. I don’t think I’ve ever come across a keyless on a MT at all. Usually I’m flipping from the keyed chuck to a MT drill or live centre anyways so often as opposed to keeping the chuck in the tailstock that I don’t think it’s enough of a production scenario to justify like it is on a mill. That said, for home use maybe something to consider if I can find one for a reasonable cost.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve never used a keyless chuck on a lathe. I don’t think I’ve ever come across a keyless on a MT at all.

My Southbend Keyless has an integrated MT3 shank. Nice chuck to use on a lathe. It's no Albrecht, but still very nice.

jgimp69

My Southbend Keyless has an integrated MT3 shank. Nice chuck to use on a lathe. It's no Albrecht, but still very nice.
I could definitely see using a keyless on smaller lathes. On most jobs I’ve always used 14N or 16N chucks and Ive usually only centre drilled for live centres or flipped to MT drills.
I’m now thinking about a keyless on my Colchester at home though

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Keyed or Keyless?

The answer is yes.
yes this.
If only one, keyed.
agreed.

I have both keyed and keyless on 2 of my lathes and keyed only on the big one. I mostly use the keyed chucks. For me they have been less trouble. I understand if I were to buy a really high end keyless one it would convert me over forever (or so they say). I'm willing to give it a try if I could find one in my affordability range. the cheap keyless ones are.... cheap.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a 5/8" keyed chuck that came with my lathe. I hardly ever use it. My goto is a keyless Southbend 5/8 MT3 I got on Amazon and I like it. I just bought a bigger used Keyed 3/4" chuck but I'm having trouble finding a key for it.

My vote is for a quality keyless chuck.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Keyless are great for light to medium use -- not so great for heavy duty use -- the harder you work 'em the tighter they'll twist (tighten) themselves to the point of self destruction if you keep feeding them in.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I use a Jacobs keyed chuck in mine. I bought a cheaper keyless one and it sucked. I'm sure a Rohm or other top-tier keyless will do well, but my keyed has held demming bits up to 1 1/6 without problem, so I'm not motivated to find a keyless one.